Thursday, August 11, 2011

Back to school....

Today was the first day of school. Kind of weird to start on a Thursday, but the bright side is that the kids all came home today really tired. We can make it another day and then it's already time for a weekend. It's like just getting our feet wet getting back into a new schedule.

Nobody slept well last night. They were all nervous, and even though Megan was the most excited about going back.....I think she still had a hard time getting used to going to bed before midnight.

Trevor - 6th grade this year. He is pretty excited that his homeroom is advanced math, and he has a top locker this year. He wasn't thrilled about returning to school, but it was nice to see him get out of the car and walk up to the door with some confidence this year. He knew exactly where to go and what to expect, so no middle school anxiety like last year. Plus he's just happy that his birthday didn't fall on the first day like has happened many times in the past.

Megan's new shoes. I love Converse. I had to get a photo of them.

Megan doing that heart thing that drives me crazy. She knows it, hence the sarcastic look on her face.

Accessory of the year is a pair of headphones. She had them with her everywhere this summer. Of course before getting into the car to leave for school she had to get in one more song while she could. She also was busy texting friends about where they were going to meet once they got there. I wish I was able to grow up with that kind of technology! This girl is in 8th grade this year. Last year of middle school. Ugh, I'm not too happy about that.

We got to school and I dropped them off. They both walked in together and I'm sure found friends soon after that.

Matthew....wow. Fourth grade this year. The oldest grade in his elementary school. Top dog. As if it didn't hit me hard enough realizing that by the end of this school year, I will have a freshman in high school....I was thinking about how this little guy is going to be in his first year of middle school. I think he is going to love this year because he has one of the greatest teachers. I can't wait to hear about what he thought of her when he gets home.

Below: the "I'm nervous, but I'm too cool to show it" smile.

I drove Matthew to school today even though he's going to be taking the bus. I do enjoy our time together in the car when it's just me and him. He said that he didn't want me to walk in with him, and that he'd be fine finding his classroom. He's trying to be so grown up....and it's breaking my heart!

Last year he also decided that he was going to go by Matt at school. He's still Matthew to me, but even this morning the principal opened the door for him and said, "Good morning Matt!"




2 comments:

Lisa said...

your kids are so big!!! so cute too!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!!