Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Spring break - Alpine Slide and Mammoth Cave National Park

Ever since we moved here I have been wanting to go to Mammoth Caves. I have no idea why other than it sounded cool. Mike starts a new job on Monday and was given the past few days off from his old one, and with me being a new hire at Kohls and not on the schedule until the following week.... this was IDEAL for a spring break road trip. All those things together meant we had no reason to not go do something today.

The road trip itself was nice. Nintendo DSs charged, snacks and picnic lunch packed... we drove south past Louisville. The interstate is beautiful right now with spring in full swing with bright green grass, new green trees and purple blooming trees and flowers.

I think I'm pretty brave to be putting my windblown, close up face on here...but here is Trevor and I on our way up the mountain. The fam always says that I'm never in photos, so this is proof that I really was there.

We went down twice, and I went down first to try to get some pictures of the kids coming down the slide. Megan got to the bottom right after me, then Mike and then the boys who had raced each other downhill.


On our second trip up to the top Matthew and I were going to race each other. I thought I had started too quickly and left him behind. This was the serious look he was giving me before I headed down.


Only to hear a minute later the loud laughing and scraping sound of the concrete as he passed me like I was standing still. I had my camera around my neck and in my lap, so this is blurry but the moment was funny as this little guy passed me. He had a blast.



After the slide we drove over near the visitor's center of the park for a picnic. We packed sandwiches, oranges, grapes, salty snacks and cookies. After lunch we found a trail and went on a hike.





continued next post....



No comments: