Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Last day of school...2010.

This year has been....odd. We started out in a different school district, and ended in another one. Somehow the two seem like entirely different years. Stuff from the other school is such a distant memory. I remember being sad when I signed all the papers to transfer but as we moved and got used to new things this part of our year has flown by.

Matthew will be in third grade next year. He had a GREAT year in his new school. He had a great teacher who made all the difference. It's strange to think that next year when he goes back, he'll be my only one at the elementary school.

Trevor's year....wow. He had a great year too. ANOTHER amazing teacher who made such a difference in the way his year went. She was so amazed at how smart he was when he transferred that she got him into gifted programs right away. This time more than just advanced math. She loved him, and he loved her. We always got good reports about T.

below: last day of school for the classroom awards....




Trevor receiving an award for the A honor roll.




Next year he'll be at the middle school with Megan. I didn't tear up until the principal was talking about how much fun they'll have in the new school and how it's hard to believe that these kids will be entering 5th grade and how quickly it seemed since they were just kindergartners. *Gulp* that hit my mommy heart. Middle school. It sounds so....grown up. Technically I still go by the 'middle school' years the way it was defined in Phoenix, being 7th and 8th grade. So somewhere in my heart I think that they'd still be elementary kids for another couple of years. It is my coping mechanism. haha.
...........



Trevor went on a trip to the middle school last week to get a tour. He's extremely excited! He said the only thing he is nervous about is the locker situation. He's already worried he won't be able to find it the first week of school and that he'll forget his combination. That's normal. I told him they are all feeling the same way and that it's to be expected the first week to not be able to remember which locker is yours. Before he knows it, it will all be easy. (I didn't tell him that as an adult...from this day forward he'll probably have that weird reoccurring nightmare that you forget your locker combination, even decades after having to deal with lockers!) I didn't want to scare him!
...........




Megan had a great start to her summer vacation right after school. She was invited to go up to King's Island with some friends right after school got out. I didn't get to see her until late. My baby girl will be in 7th grade next year! It will be nice to have her show Trevor the ropes to help him ease into it next year, and nice to have them both at the same school.
So now I have done my favorite part of the last day of school...purged all the papers from backpacks, thrown away the lunch menu from the front of my refrigerator and and thrown away the yucky lunchboxes that could barely stand one more trip into the washing machine for the year!
Summer vacation has officially begun!




No comments: