Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer so far.....

Summer vacation has been good to us so far. We've only had a couple of days of unbearable heat....but as usual there have been some gorgeous days to outnumber the yucky ones. To have our windows open in June still amazes me.

...............

Night time is awesome. Sunset especially. My favorite thing to do this year is to go out after dinner and drive down some of the back roads to see the fireflies that are out like crazy. I wish there was a way to capture them with a camera....with the windows down, the pockets of cold air when you go under the huge trees that cover the roads, and the fireflies. Summer can be so pretty. I think I actually get excited about the beginnings of every season here. They all have their own special thing about them.

Near my home: The Abner Gaines home. Federal Style mansion built in 1790. Built by Abner Gaines who was the owner of the first stage line between Lexington and Cincinnati. The house was used as an inn and a stagecoach stop. It has three stairways and six fireplaces with carved mantels. (A bit of trivia.) I pass this house on the Dixie Highway in between my old house and where I live now.


A lot of rain has brought a lot of pretty wildflowers.



Waiting for a train to pass...

My pot of baby basil on my deck. I also have cilantro and lettuce for the torties.






1 comment:

Maddy said...

Hooray for summer. I love Midwest summers!