Friday, February 04, 2011

warm winter food

Image taken from web...from the recipe I made. I really need to charge my camera battery.

Trust me....this does not happen often. I have been in the mood to cook. Mike made a big batch of chili and some chicken tortilla soup before he left, and I froze it in single portions so that I could easily heat up a bowl when I wanted to warm up and eat something yummy.

All of that is long gone. I always felt so good sitting down and heating up a quick lunch and sitting down on the couch and watching something on tv. A chance to relax and think about Mike, and me eating something he left for me. Makes for a warm tummy and heart. :)

Earlier this week I took the kids to the library to pick up a book that Trevor had on hold. I picked up a couple of issues of Cooking Light (a magazine I always liked, but did a lot of reading through when I was in the hospital last year.) There was one issue that I was reading and didn't get a chance to write anything down from it. It was one that I checked out at the library.

I leave the magazine in my car for when I am waiting for Megan and Trevor to get out of school. I will sit there and flip through it, and read what sounds good. Usually I mark these pages and show them to Mike and tell him "this sounds good." Then he'll make it. (I'm spoiled, I know.) But right now, believe it or not, I have been in the mood to cook. Big batches of stuff.

I was already quite proud of myself this past week after making chicken in a crock pot. We had some for dinner, then i used the left overs to shred and make street tacos with. I loved how easy it was to warm up a corn tortilla and put in some already cooked chicken. Then I'd cut up a bit of avocado, some cilantro, onion, lemon and hot sauce. Yum.

I still had some chicken left over and actually found in my pantry most of the things needed to make posole. It clicked. For a brief moment I felt INSPIRED. I can do this. I had a recipe in one of the Cooking Light issues that I had dogeared too.

It smells pretty good if I do say so myself. I realize this isn't a fancy recipe, but it's baby steps for me because I actually enjoyed making it. I can cook, I just don't enjoy it. - I am making a big pot to eat over the weekend, and maybe into next week....when even MORE snow is coming.

I'm about done with snow. It's not cute anymore. At least until next year when I'll be happy to see it come around again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet it was absolutely delicious!
miss you :(