Monday, July 20, 2009

These insects are really bugging me....


Such a pretty day.... and nothing to do. We did stop to see these adorable baby horses on the side of the road. Anybody who has been out to visit me knows about my favorite little drive on Richwood since I've always had that as part of my 'tour of my favorite Kentucky things.' There were 6 mommy horses and 6 babies.

One thing I have learned in my temporary role of single parenting is how much I really can do. There was a line on Designing Women that I remember exactly how Delta Burke's character Suzanne said, "The man should have to kill the bug." Even when I say it to myself while killing bugs, I say it with that accent. Somehow it gets me past the gross factor and makes it possible for me to do what needs to be done.

A couple of weeks ago I was totally disgusted by my pretty topiary tree outside my door. It was covered with those same creepy cocoons that one of our bushes had last year. Last year I was feeling charitable and left them alone but gave the bush a huge berth when I walked by it. As long as we left each other alone, maybe they can stay for a short time. But then when you're done... off with you. (Until I found out that they weren't even butterflies... they were MOTHS. Double ew.) Like Mike joked with me, that line in Indiana Jones when he sees the snakes by the light of his torch, "Snakes.... I hate snakes." That was me.... "Moths.... I hate moths." This was a nightmare. Where is the man to kill the bug?

If I was going to be able to use my front door for the next month, they had to go. Not to mention this year I wasn't feeling nice about them being there. I learned that they ruin the plant and there is no way those mofos were going to kill my swirly topiary tree. They are too expensive to replace, and having one would look stupid.

Off to Home Depot to buy spray and find out what I had to do. I spent 3 hours on a weekend with gloves and a bag, picking over 100 of these cocoons off the tree. Then I sprayed it with the poison and stuff to nurse my sick little tree. I did it. I killed the bugs, helped the tree and felt a sense of pride.

Today I opened a window to let the breeze in and I noticed some wasps going under the fake shutters on the window. I took my can of wasp spray out and noticed that there were A LOT of them. Going into at least 4 of the 16 shutters on the front of the house. When I sprayed under one of the shutters about 20 of them fell out dead. Then I found two nests. OK... this is war. I had to go to the hardware store and buy several cans of wasp spray. We're ON wasps. You don't know who you're messing with. This girl can kill the bugs.

I knocked down the nests standing on a ladder and reaching with a broom handle. The kids were inside all crammed into a window laughing at me and pointing to wasps that were getting away so I could spray them. Megan took a video of me twirling the broom and acting tough. Those years in the color guard paid off mom.... I was like a broom twirling, can spraying wasp killing ninja.

I hope this is my last battle with infestation of any sort of bug. Even though this girl can kill them and kick their butts.

3 comments:

Qwendykay said...

You Go GIRL!!! Check you out, you are like Buffy the Moth Slayer. I love it!

I'm super proud of you and the image of you swatting with a broom being a ninja made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, moth/wasp killer!

Unknown said...

there is no way those mofos were going to kill my swirly topiary tree. They are too expensive to replace, and having one would look stupid.

Haha! Best lines in the whole post! Thanks so much for the laugh. And you go, girl!