Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th


Every year I think of this little girl. Juliana Valentine McCourt. Every milestone with my own daughter I think of this little girl too. She was the same age as Megan when she died on UA flight 175 on September 11th.
Megan will have a birthday and I'll think of the time missed with this little girl. Or when Megan started a new grade in school. I remember holding my own daughter in 2001 and feeling so sad.
Before details starting coming out about some of the passengers on the planes I remember hearing that one of them was heading to California. - and being a morning flight I thought that there had to have been children on that plane more than likely headed for a trip to Disney. Sure enough later when the details started coming out..... this little girl was on the flight with her mother - headed to Disneyland.
I think of how scared mom must have been. Megan was into watching Barney at the time, and all I can think about is how I would have handled such a scary and unknown situation. I imagine her holding Juliana on her lap and singing the "I love you" song from Barney trying desperately not to show her fear to her little girl.
It's early fall, there's a cloud in the New York skyline....
Innocence dragged across a yellow line....
The Hands That Built America/U2

No comments: