Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day.


Just a quick post for Veteran's Day.
My kids don't have the day off of school like a lot do, but I actually prefer the way that our school handles the day. I'm sure that they don't get it off due more to the fact that they have to factor in snow days that are soon to come, and making it all up at the end of the year. We really don't even get a real "fall break" but more a three day weekend. I guess it all works out in the end. Especially when we've had a week off that wasn't planned due to ice storms or snow. I notice the kids don't seem to complain then. ;)
However, Veteran's Day is pretty awesome at the kid's school. There is a huge HUGE flag raising ceremony in the morning that lasts forever. Any child who's parents or grandparents or any family member really, are a veteran, they come dressed in their uniforms. It's a pretty impressive sight. There is a lot of patriotic music, lessons about what the day is about, and the best..... if your class is lucky enough to have a veteran come to your class, they talk about their experiences and the kids get to ask questions.
Which I think is really super cool. It puts a face on the day, and not just the "we have the day off of school and we don't really know why other than mom goes and shops at the mall because the sales are good."
Matthew came home and was talking to me about his visit in his classroom today. His speaker today was a Vietnam vet. He said that one child asked if he had ever lost a friend during the war and the man started to cry and said yes. I think that really hit hard with some of the kids. I know Matthew has been asking me about it since he got home. It has brought up some pretty good dialog.... except for now he is convinced that he wants to join the military next year. LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post! Do you have any military veterans in your family ?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.