Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Start the Star Wars music.....A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....... you were born.

Another birthday this month! Matthew.... is SEVEN. For some reason he's stuck in my head forever as being under 5 years old. I don't know why. Even throughout the last year I would catch myself and look at him and ask, "You're SIX?" I guess he can't be in 1st or 2nd grade and still be five, but there's something about the youngest. I always felt like he helped to halt time. As long as one of my babies was under 5, it felt like time wasn't going by as fast as it really was.

So here he is. Seven years old: In second grade, has friends that he has made on his own and not organized playdates because of me, he runs down the street by himself to one of his friend's houses after school, and comes back when they are done.



He likes to try his independence by his stubbornness to listen sometimes... but it's not always a bad thing. He has an idea in his mind of the way things should be done and he's going to try it. He is fearless. But, that's also the way he is learning and I guarantee you this is one tough little boy who doesn't' take crap from anybody. His teachers in each grade from kindergarten on up have said that he'll get into a fight, but he is never one to start it. He will certainly share, but if you take away something he is playing with.... there are consequences! He's never been in trouble because of this, the teachers have always said that he's just doing what he should be. This boy is a leader. Not a follower. Which frustrating as it can be when he is a child, will be a great quality when he's a man.


This independence is also in small things like the desire to make his own sandwiches and cereal.

He loves Star Wars. Oh my gosh.... he even walks around humming the theme or Darth Vader's theme. (I bought him a musical birthday card that I'm sure I will regret, but I can't wait to see him open it and have it play!) He loves Legos (Yep...all of them, but especially Star Wars ones.) Even if it's a regular Lego City set.... it still has a Stormtrooper or somebody in it.

His favorite word right now is "awesome." but the way it is said makes me laugh. It's totally with
a surfer dude sound to it. Now I think he's been to a beach probably 10 times in his life, but you'd think he was born and raised in SoCal. Everything from a good belch to something cool is
"awesome!!!"
These photos were taken at the crack of dawn while it was still dark out. Hence the orange glow of the lighting and bed head. New Lego Agents:
New Lego Space Police:

I caved and gave him one of his presents the night before. It was a Star Wars Lego set. At first I told him he could have the people out of it and then he had to go to bed, but then I ended up putting the ship together. I've gotten good at following the directions.... lol.

Now I'm off to buy cupcakes for the classroom, and then later he has asked about going to Cici's Pizza for dinner. (Of all places... but it's HIS pick.)

Happy birthday Matthew!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY SEVEN YEAR OLD BIRTHDAY MATTHEW !! WE'LL CALL YOU AGAIN
AFTER SCHOOL TODAY!

BIRTHDAY HUGS AND KISSES FROM G'MA
AND G'PA

Maddy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW! It always blows my mind when he has a birthday too.

And what if you have three kids under 5 -- does that mean I'll never get old?

Anonymous said...

I promise we'll be together next birthday, Matty! Happy birthday, I miss you!

Love,
Daddy