Tuesday, December 18, 2007

were santa's reindeer really females?

Something funny my mom and I were talking about. She said she read about this somewhere. I had to google it when I got home.
Subject: Reindeer Facts

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year (the only members of the deer family, Cervidae, to have females do so), male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.
Therefore, according to every historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, every single one of them, from Rudolf to Blitzen ... had to be a female.
We should've known this when they were able to find their way.
- and you have to wonder if any of them were pregnant. Did you see the part about them retaining antlers until they gave birth? All of the pictures of the flying type still have antlers on them, which leads me to believe that they were pregnant. That gives a whole new mental image to me about pulling the sleigh.
Donner: "Ugh, my back hurts so bad. I am SO READY to have this baby"
Comet: "Can we please stop at some fast food place down there? I'm really craving some fried cheese sticks."
Dasher: "Do I look fat to you? I'm wearing my maternity harness earlier this time than last time."

3 comments:

Qwendykay said...

YOU made me just laugh so hard I snorted!!

You are wicked funny.

Maddy said...

Ha ha! Dasher has always been the funniest reindeer ;D

Anonymous said...

I love it!! And very interesting fun fact about reindeer!
Kaelene