Saturday, March 15, 2008

Meet at least three out of four. Zippy, Tilly, Lily and Ferb.



Sorry about the bad photo.

Here are my frogs. I say my frogs because I actually adore these things. Yeah, they live in Megan's room and she feeds them. She doesn't want anything to do with touching them, so we came up with a fair trade with chores. But I check on them at night right after checking on the kids before I go to bed.

After I cleaned their little habitat, I fed them and watched them for about 30 minutes. (Yeah, time went by that fast or I'm that bored.) But watching our little habitat is a lot like watching people. It's sometimes better than cable. I think we have three males and one female. The females are light, and the males are dark and spotted. Now that they are bigger you can tell the difference between them better. That, and that the female still seems to have a bigger tummy than the rest. So either she's just fat (isn't that just like regular life?) or she's still pregnant. I need to go find out the gestation for african dwarf frogs apparently.

Anyway... so as the flakes of food are floating at the top or sinking at the bottom, she's trying to get herself a piece. They eat really slow, not like fish, they float up to it and 'freeze' so they don't look like prey themselves. Then they snatch it really fast. But the boys won't let her get a piece. They float up underneath her and bite her little webbed feet!! Then she darts out of the way and the males eat the food. Typical males. Steal food from the maybe pregnant female. She just keeps going to another corner hoping to find her own piece. She did get some eventually. But it was interesting to watch.

Now I don't mean this to sound like a man hater post, but it did remind me of one time when I was pregnant. I mean I was literally close to divorce after saving one last piece of bacon on the side of my plate to eat after I ate all of the sweet pancake stuff at a breakfast out. I had already eaten a few other pieces first, but I wanted to save this last piece. It was the perfect piece too. The filet mignon of bacon.

Mike reached over and ate it!! I was so mad! You stole bacon from a pregnant woman? WTH is wrong with you!??!?! He thought I wasn't going to eat it since it was on the corner of my plate. In his defense he did get me some more bacon, and he never deprived me of any craving. I'm sure some pregnant hormones had a little something to do with the whole thing too. ;)

We still joke around about the bacon. But I've come to the conclusion that male humans aren't that much different than male frogs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Kaelene said...

Kerry - I miss you! We must scrap (or at least pack all of our stuff to someone's house, on the pretense of scrapping!!) soon!
Love the frog/pregnant woman analogy!

Maddy said...

Ah haha ha hahaaaaaa! I love the Mike story at the end. Perfect!

I have something fun to tell you -- so check your e-mail later. I'm blog stalking now, though, so it will take awhile.

Lisa said...

oh my gosh! i can't believe he did that. if he stole your mcdonalds coke i am sure i would be attending his funeral!

maddy--hello--i want a funny story!!!

laura said...

snort! poor mike! and poor pregnant kerry! ;)

your frogs are so cute!

jen paddack-hyde said...

funny story Kerry. I would have slapped his hand so fast...especially if I was pregnant. In the back of my mind I can remember having a blow up at Alex's dad about something similar...can't remember what the food was though..LOL.

Syrinx67 said...

Oh my Gosh! You have african clawed frogs!!! How cool! So do we - we got them for Alexander but there was an incident and then a few more and they really became mine. We inadvertently bred them for awhile. It's a long story....we had close to 500 of the little guys. Really, I counted them. Sold most of them to the pet store. Gave some to my sister-in-law's husband's dad. Ended up with 4. You can actually tell the males from females cause the insides of their arms are black. And females are fatter because they ALWAYS carry eggs, just waiting for the bom-chicka-wah-wah moment. If you hear the males start to sing...LOOK OUT! Anyway, it occurred to me this morning that it is our 20th year out of CDS so I googled you and found your blog again. Hopefully you will see this and give me a shout! syrinx67@wazooo.com (It's me, Mandy!)

Anonymous said...

I like your creepy little froggies!

Mike