Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Piper post for the dog inclined....



Piper is one cool dog. - and actually officially one year old right about now. We got her in April last year, and she was 6 weeks old.

I was thinking the other day how labs are often used in search and rescue, leading the blind or like our neighbor lab who is a bomb sniffing dog. (He even has a badge on his collar, it's so cute!) but why is it that my lab doesn't seem like the type cut out for that kind of work? Maybe it's the training that we've given her, which is pretty much family dog stuff. Sit, stay, get off the couch, don't eat off the counter.... she's pretty, and she's sweet, so she was obviously cut out just to be a great family dog.

She's smart at times, but there have been a lot of times I imagine if she could ever be a search and rescue dog. Yeah, only if the missing had tennis balls in their pockets. She lives for tennis balls.

But this thing she does with Megan gives me warm fuzzies. Not long after school, or on the weekends they go up and down the street with Piper pulling Megan on her scooter. Sometimes I ride along side on my bike, and it is cool how Megan doesn't even need to move both of her feet off of the scooter. (Only for stopping.) She'll keep them going at a pretty fast pace all the way. This is what I tried to accomplish with my dog when I was Megan's age... only he was a daschund. We never made it that far. ;)

Happy birthday Piper!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

aw. Megan has a driver.

Lisa said...

that is so cute!! i love labs. i know mine can search and rescue any scrap of food in a 10 mile radius! LOL

Maddy said...

OK, I have to admit, she's a pretty dog.

laura said...

she's one already?!?! wow - i can't believe it! happy birthday, sweet piper! :)

Syrinx67 said...

I love puppies! Piper looks like a sweetheart. I think I'll try to get my dog to come in the house. When it's cold out he likes being outside. Huskies! We'd never make it in AZ now that we have Marley. He's my baby! I never thought I'd be a dog person, I mean really. But Marleydog has won me over completely. Marley and Piper would have fun playing. Although he is no good at fetch. He's very independently minded. Which means he doesn't come when called. Darn dog. But he brightens my every day!