Friday, July 18, 2008

Random observations from today

I was just thinking today of a few things that I just love about Kentucky.

1. Southern hospitality. Even though Northern Kentucky seems to be considered more of Southern Ohio by some, the people here honestly seem so much friendlier. It feels so laid back.

2. People take their chili very seriously. There are 3 big chains here and people pledge allegiance to only one like they would a football team. You don't cheat and go to 'the other guy' when you find the one you like. (I don't like ANY of them...for the record. It isn't AZ chili with beans and spices I'm used to...for sure.) There is Skyline, Gold Star and Dixie.

3. The bag for Steak and Shake says 'takhomasak.' It just makes me laugh. It took me a few tries to figure out what in the world this meant. Now I feel like I'm in on the joke.

4. It's nothing out of the ordinary to see deer (alive or dead) on a freeway off ramp. They're just here doing their 'deery thing.' Coexisting with the human folk. Megan and I were waiting to turn off the freeway one time and there were two lost deer just grazing on the side of the road. I mean, this was an exit that would be compared to getting off of I-10 and Ray Road in Phoenix. Go figure. Did they drive there? In my little Talking Heads voice I sing, "How DID they get here?" We find them fascinating.

*ETA: I'm sure the deer aren't as fascinating to ADOT or whatever the highway dudes are called out here, or any kind of emergency response people since I know that hitting a deer with a car can cause a terrible accident, but I feel we're still tourists enough to stop and stare. I'm sure their cute factor goes way down when you have narrowly missed one with your car.

5. Along the same route, we have a constant game of 'punch roadkill' going in our family. Raccoons, beavers, frogs.....

6. The girl at Wendy's the other day who freaked out that our order came to $6.66 and said before I could even leave the speaker, "OH DEAR, I'm not going to charge you for the frosty because that number just is WRONG."

7. The fact that people buy fireworks and light them just for the fact that it is Friday. There is a show every weekend. It's cool.

8. Fireflies. Is there really anything cuter?

9. People's voracious appetite for sweet tea.

10. Mike's favorite. (tic. It really makes him crazy!) The word please. Please has two meanings here. One being the good manner please for when you are asking for something. The other is when somebody doesn't hear what you said, instead of saying, "Excuse me? or What?" people say, "Please?" I think it's cute.

7 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

I have a friend from Ohio and he is SERIOUS about his Skyline chili. His mom sends it out here for him...LOL. It's definitely not the kind I'm used to either:)

Kerry said...

See Jen? It's weird!! Even the airport has either Skyline or Gold Star in it past security. Like your last chance for chili covered spaghetti or hot dogs before you leave Ohio!! :p

I saw it by the cases at Costco! It's so odd! I can't even describe it. It's almost sweet. Want me to send you some? ;)

Kaelene said...

In Spanish they say, "How?" for "excuse me?" or "come again?" Slang is a funny concept in any language!
Chili, however, is not! Don't mess with my southwestern Chili!!

Lisa said...

i thought only the english said please when they didn't hear you. how funny. i love the wendy's story. you need to order those same items every time that girl is there to get a free frosty!

how about the BBQ--every region does it different too--it's not like AZ BBQ. they have vinegar ones and mustard ones and most don't have sauce on them. cool.

Unknown said...

I'd much rather hear my kids say "please" instead of the usual "huh?!" I get around here... ;)

laura said...

lol at the wendy's girl! :)

sounds like you guys are having fun getting accustomed to your new digs! :)

Qwendykay said...

I love your Kentucky Observations. I can't believe the Wendy's girl... you gotta go back and keep ordering that combo and wig her out.