Wednesday, August 06, 2008

peanuts and corn hole.



Ah, some little wildflowers for your viewing pleasure... (I really can't stand to post anything without some sort of photo. No idea why. Roll with me.)

So we got to try out the Union Kentucky emergency response team for the first time. We were at a neighborhood street party, and all of the kids were playing in the culdesac. It was awesome, my kids had a million new kids to play with. They were in a safe area away from the road and I figure all of my kids are finally old enough to not need me hovering over them constantly.

It was great to meet new neighbors all in one spot. There was food, drinks and corn hole. OK.....corn hole. It's everywhere. I kept seeing people playing this game at parties at the parks, and some restaurants like Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings have these out front too. It's basically horseshoes but with a slanted rectangular board with a hole in it. The board is usually painted something, like a favorite sports team. Instead of horseshoes you throw beanbags.

Apparently there are corn hole tournaments. Somebody told me that they figure instead of using horseshoes that could poke somebody's eye out or severely hurt somebody by hitting them in the head, they use the beanbags because... well...usually there is beer involved too... which makes sense. She said if you get hit in the head with a bean bag instead of killing you, it just stings a little. Ok, that makes total sense. Now I need to find out how to get my own corn hole set. ;)

Oh so on to the rest of the party. Things are going well until Matthew comes up and starts to say that he can 't breathe well and his tummy hurts. He had just finished a can of soda and a cookie plus was running with the boys so I thought it was just a bad combination of all 3 things. I took him home to sit with him while Mike was at the party with the other two. Of course, Matthew wanted a mom lap to sit on. Mom laps are good when you don't feel well.

A couple of minutes later he started swelling and throwing up. Megan came running back saying the cookie he had eaten was peanut butter and not a sugar cookie. Crap.

Matthew had two epi shots and was whisked away in the ambulance. Poor guy. He was more upset that he had to leave his new friends at the party. Mike went to the hospital with him, and we had neighbors offering to have the other kids over. (They both were really upset and crying that Matthew was sick, but when they heard that, they were both pretty interested in the invitations to go play at somebody's house for awhile. Here they were with their PICK of houses to go to.)

I was going to wait until I heard from Mike when the ambulance got to the hospital about where I was going to send the kids so I could go sit all night at the hospital with them. When he called, he had already seen the doctor, the epi doses had already started working and they were monitoring his oxygen. WOW. Now that was fast. Sure enough, an hour and a half later (after the very beginning of the whole episode) they were back home. I was planning on an all nighter. I'm not used to such a short visit.

Long story short, he's fine. Like nothing ever happened. He's usually good at asking about what is in cookies or anything because he's very aware of his allergy, so it was surprising that he ate a cookie without showing it to me first. I guarantee he'll ask every time now. He said it looked like a sugar cookie because it didn't have nuts in it that he could see. You know how usually there are some small chunks of peanut.

I heard Trevor this morning asking him, "So... since you ate a bite of peanut butter cookie and had never tasted peanut butter before, what did you think?" Like he can't wrap his mind around never having tried peanut butter. Matthew just said it was awful. Even if he could eat it, he doesn't like peanuts.

5 comments:

Kaelene said...

Poor little guy . . . at least you got to test the system, huh??
I'm glad he's okay!

jen paddack-hyde said...

poor kid:( Glad this was a quick one for you though and not an all-nighter. Really happy to hear he's okay too:)

Maddy said...

Well, I guess it was a nice way to introduce yourself to the Kentucky 911. How else will they know to send you a Christmas card.

So sorry about Matthew :( Now freaking e-mail me ;D

Lisa said...

i'm glad he was ok. i can't even imagine how traumatizing that could be. was it kentucky or ohio that answered the 911 call? a girl needs to know!

sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

awwww poor kid! and poor mommy, too!! glad he's okay!