Friday, October 22, 2010

Party of five.

We have a magnet on our refrigerator that has all these different faces on it, and you are supposed to move a small black frame onto how you are feeling for that day. I forget about it most of the time, or leave it in between emotions. But last night I officially moved it to HAPPY.
^
I had gotten a quick IM from Mike yesterday that he was shutting down his computer and would call me when he got to New York in the morning. He flew all night from Lagos to NY. I went to bed and felt good knowing he'd be home the next day.
*
This morning we got up and the kids went to school. I heard from Mike early that he had a long story but was able to make it on the flight and would be home. I watched flightaware and tracked his flight from NY to DC, then on to Cincinnati.
&
I left for the airport and waited for about 20 minutes before the screens said that his flight had landed! I was so excited!! I waited at the top of the escalator waiting for everybody to make their way up from the gates. It's funny because the way you look down, all you can see is feet for several steps before you see the whole person come out. I noticed that I always recognize Mike's feet and his gait how he walks. Sure enough... I spotted his feet. :) That is 20 years of marriage.
k
That escalator ride up from the bottom floor to the waiting area is painfully long when you are waiting for somebody! I stood there trying not to jump out of my shoes, like a little girl! Finally he made it up, stepped to the side and I got a kiss. Then we went over to wait for his luggage.
*
He's home.
*
The kids were so excited to see him after they got out from school. I know he was so tired from the time difference and traveling for so many hours. After awhile we ended up taking a quick nap on the couch while we waited for Matthew to come home. Matthew never comes in the house quietly after a day of school. Usually he opens the door and says something to make sure everybody knows he's home. - I heard him come through the door, loud as usual, and woke up. It startled me at first to realize that I had my head on Mike's lap. The first few days are always so strange. It always feels like a dream.
*
So of course we're getting used to the time difference again....which means he stays up as late as he possibly can. Tonight he made it to 9:00, 2:00 a.m. in Africa. Even going into our room it still feels strange to see him asleep on the bed.
*
I'm glad this year he gets to be home during the fall. He missed it the past two years. It is such a pretty season around here. I can't wait for him to see some of it. The last things we had done together were enjoying the motorcycle rides during the summer and then my surgery. It finally feels like life is normal.
*
I'm posting a couple of layouts from the two birthdays this month. The one of Matthew has a white background, which always posts weird. I'll be working on another one of his birthday with his presents and his big shopping trip that he has been patiently waiting to take with Mike to the Lego store tomorrow.






1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm happy too!!!! and i'm a party of five here as well. haha