Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Are you smarter than a 2nd grader?

I'm sure I am like every other mom who thinks their child is a genius. Not too long ago we were in the car listening to the radio and Trevor told me that the part of the song that was on was called the 'bridge.' He told me when the reprise was, and all that. Words that are vaguely familiar to me, but if you asked me I might not remember the answer.

Tonight at dinner I asked T if he finished his homework, and if he had his spelling pre-test tomorrow. He said he had it today and that he didn't have to do the spelling part of his homework because he does "super spelling" or something like that. I didn't believe him, because he does try to get away with sneaky things like not brushing his teeth, or to get out of homework.

He says, "I am! My words are different than the ones on that list. One that I had to do today was courteous. Do you want me to spell it so you'll belive me? C O U R T E O U S. Gah, you neeeever believe me!"

OK, so he was right. Plus I caught him helping his sister on her 4th grade math today. Not that his sister is behind in math, but Trevor LOVES math. (OK and I have asked him random math questions thinking he won't know the answer and he does. It's almost freaky.)

It got me to thinking about the same thought that I had back during the conversation about music. I am so glad that the time he was a week old and I dropped him, that I didn't cause permanant damage to his little brain. Apparently that car seat really did protect him. (I was walking down stairs at a restaurant and tripped. Resulting in falling about 6 steps towards the bottom of the stairs, carseat with baby strapped in, mid air and falling fast. I felt so bad. I cried for a long time, but Trevor just sat in the seat like a happy little guy.

Then not too long after that (since he was still in the car seat and tiny) we went out for dinner one night. Trevor was a lousy sleeper, so I was in a zombie state for about a year. We went to Macayo's. I set him on the table and we ate. It took me awhile to realized that I had set the poor kid on top of one of those candles that they use to keep the cheese crisps warm. His seat was pretty toasty. Here I am, really trying to ruin this kid. I'm positive I had divine help that first year.

All in all, I'm just glad to know that I didn't ruin him. What a relief. ;)

3 comments:

laura said...

glad he made through infant and toddler-hood! ;)

what a smartie! COURTEOUS. is that right??

*muah*

Maddy said...

WOO HOO Trevor. I'm impressed. He must get it from his dad ;p

Kerry said...

It's not from me! That's for sure!