Friday, April 18, 2008

Back home + some random stuff.

Today I met the cutest, and most interesting man.

I promised the kids I would take them out when I got back home. We had an errand to do. Trevor had to go to the bathroom, and there was a mcdonalds on the corner. Plus with cries from the backseat of being thirsty, (like it takes a lot of arm twisting for me to stop and get a soda anyway. haha!) We went inside, which is something I never do because I hate the play areas with a passion. My kids always get sick after being in one. But I set out rules that we weren't there to play, and nobody seemed to care. They were happy with the lunch that we ended up having instead.

Anyway... we were sitting up at this counter with barstools that are against a wall. This little old man walked by and commented on Matthew's stuffed animal sitting on one of the stools. He had a sundae that he had bought and looked like he was going to be spending some time there eating it and reading a couple of books that he brought in with him. He seemed lonely. It didn't take much to engage him in a conversation. He sat down next to us after I asked him if he wanted the seat where the stuffed animal was.

About an hour later I had learned that he had flown sea planes out of Miami, and he told me all about landing on water. He had been in an accident 30 some years ago that ended his flying career. - He was 19 when he was sent over to fight in WWII. He told me a story about how one day his troop (or whatever they were called) had been sat down and given a couple pieces of paper each. They were told to write down the names and addresses of family, and to write a letter home. When they asked why, they found out that they were leaving for Japan and were told that more than half of them wouldn't be coming back! Can you even imagine? He told me about some of the guys he remembered that didn't make it back with him.

He told me about the day somebody had told him that the war was over. He asked how this person knew and he said that he heard about a bomb being dropped in Japan, and that it was over. He said he remembered exactly where he was when he found out that it was for real. I just thought that was cool. I loved hearing a story from somebody's experience rather than reading it from a book or magazine. It was hard to look into his eyes and imagine him as a young guy who probably had seen more than anybody should. I was sad, but fascinated. Needless to say, he made it home. :) But I started to feel bad about the people he was just telling me about. Guys that were 19 years old, and died decades before I was even born, and here I was talking to somebody who was there and had lived a long life afterwards.

I felt so bad since his ice cream was melted so much by this time, but he seemed happy to have somebody listen to him. He said he lived near one of his sons, so I imagine his wife was gone.

I think I could have listened to his war stories forever, if my kids weren't starting to get restless. (we'd already been there 45 minutes) It was just so interesting. It made me realize even more that the generation that fought in that war are all starting to go away. It makes me sad to know that there are so many stories that are going with them. I love history, and WWII is one of my favorite things to learn about.

so I really don't know where I am going with this story other than I thought the man was really interesting. I'm glad he stopped to talk to me. I just wanted to write about him on my blog because he totally made my day.

I have to load some pictures that I'll post later. I had fun on our little road trip, but it feels good to be home. :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I think that your story, and those stories we continue to tell, honor and pay tribute to the men who served in wars past.

I speak often of my late boss who also served in WWII in the Navy. He, too, could tell nail biting stories you wished would never end all the while sadened that they happened.

We really must honor our service men and women. Your story does just that. I'm glad you told it. You sweet little Mickey Dees ice cream man will never know it, but he just made my day too!

Maddy said...

That's so awesome that you got to talk to him. It probably made his day.

PS I miss you! Still not getting your -mails. Did you try my gmail account?

Lisa said...

i love that!!! there is something so special when we connect with people that we have never seen before or probably won't ever again. but our lives cross at certain points and we take something from it.

glad you're back!!

Kaelene said...

Kerry, you probably made that little man's day, just by listening to his stories. You're so like that!
I hope that someone in his family has recorded those experiences of his, so that generations to come will know how proud he was to serve.
Hey, when will you EVER come and play with us again?? And, where is my U2 photo???? ;)

laura said...

wow kerry! what a great experience. i'm so glad you got to hear his stories. i love this - and i am so glad you shared it with us. i agree - it is sad that a part of our history is dying everyday with these veterans. i;m sure you enriched his day just by listening just as much as he did yours by talking. :)