Sunday, April 27, 2008

Seeing the country at 75 MPH. Phoenix to Albuquerque -



leaving Phoenix. Road trip! Road trip!


Bear with me, these are long posts but I wanted to get this down somewhere before I forgot.

The plan was to take Mike's car back to Kentucky so he could get rid of our Chrysler that he originally drove out there. There was no sense in having the audi sitting in the garage here. Plus I'm always up for a road trip! As long as I get fed along the way. I have to say I like this trend of hotels having free breakfast, which each one we stayed in had a waffle maker. I had a waffle every single morning. Can you start the day any happier?
Holbrook is so kitschy. I love it. We needed to stop for gas (and a soda.) This whole town reminded me of Matthew and his obsession with the movie Cars. I know from watching the second disc of the movie that when the people from Pixar were doing research for the movie, they went to places like Holbrook and along the old Route 66. There was a version of the "Cozy Cone" with teepees. There were old cars parked out in front of the teepees like in the movie. I guess this was Mater:

There were also these huge dinosaurs everywhere. I'm not sure of the significance of dinosaurs and Holbrook, but apparently they like them there. Matthew liked this picture.



**** continue driving... forever....
New Mexico was windy. So windy that I had a hard time opening the door on the car trying to get out at a place we stopped at to get a snack. It kind of pushed you along when you were walking with it. Also, I don't know what it is about my hair. Mike and I laugh that even if I face the wind, my hair still comes back into my face. It's weird and squelches any dream of owning a convertible. ;) This photo is actually very tame. I'd get these funky swirling vortexes on top of my head that made my hair not only go in my face, but straight up. We were trying to get a picture for the kids, but alas... never got the perfect one. But since I'm hardly ever in pictures, I thought I'd add this. (Proof that I was there.)





3 comments:

Maddy said...

I love Holbrook! I've been to all those places. HA HA! I've even eaten breakfast at the huge truck stop. Ahhhh, good old Holbrook memories from a few summers ago.

I'll miss you! I miss you already.

Lisa said...

you updated!! a lot!! cool pics! i had to laugh cuz i tried so hard to get a pic of the dinosaurs on the phone so i could send you a picture! LOL

laura said...

dude! i love all of your vacation posts! what an amazing trip - i am more than a little bit jealous! and i love that picture of you.