Sunday, April 27, 2008

Missouri/Kentucky - almost there!

A giant bug splat right in the middle of the windshield. Great. But hey, you get the point. ;)



We got up the next morning (and had another waffle!!) and headed towards St. Louis. The trip from Kansas City to here was still just as gorgeous. Rolling green hills, dotted with little perfect farms.

I was talking with my dad on the phone right before seeing this. He's from St. Louis. Hi dad!

I love the first time you see a monument or landmark that you've seen on tv and movies forever. Kind of like the first time I went across the Golden Gate Bridge, or saw Times Square or the Empire State Building. You kind of forget that these things are real. Then when you actually see them, it is cool. It's hard to describe. I figured the St. Louis arch was big, but I didn't think it would be this big. Photos do it absolutely no justice. It is HUGE. Especially when you see it in contrast to the city that is on the right, with all of the big buildings.

We kept on driving... and driving....

through southern Illinois (I waved at Mandy up north!) and Indiana. I forget what state it was in, but we stopped at a place called Effingham. My fourth grade humor kept thinking that was funny. "Let's stop at the Effing McDonalds and get a Effing soda!" I'm so easily amused.

**** almost there.

It's hard to remember after living in Arizona forever, that there are cool bridges like this, with wide rolling rivers underneath. It is quite a contrast to our concrete bridges that usually go over dry rivers. This was the last one before arriving in Kentucky. Infact, right on the other side of it is the 'Welcome to Kentucky' sign.


taken while driving, which is why there is a speed limit sign in the way. Dang. But this is Mike's 'office.' - Where he hangs when he's not at home.
There are tulip beds all over the airport. To a desert dweller, trust me, that is impressive!! They were so pretty!!!

We got into Kentucky a little before dinner time. We drove around a little and I got a chance to see a bit more than I did on my last trip out there. We had dinner and then went across another bridge into Cincinnati. This area of Kentucky is right on the border (it's the little bump on the northern most part of the state) so basically you have a very short drive across another one of those cool bridges into downtown Cincinnati.

Then back to the hotel to get some sleep before I headed back home early the next morning. I never got used to the 3 hour time difference. I stayed up late, and of course had a hard time getting up the next morning! Blah.

I enjoyed the fact that Mike could go through security with me since he was in his uniform and was heading to work shortly after my plane left. So he was able to take me to the gate and see me off. (Like the old days!)

The plane ride home was great. It was a newer plane that had the screens built into the back of the seat in front of you. You can watch pay per view movies, HBO shows, and some free tv. I ended up watching E! channel. Nothing like mindless celebrity stuff on a 4 hour flight. I watched the top 30 celebrity fights, and then E! True Hollywood Story on Lindsay Lohan. I was home before I knew it! I'm spoiled now. I can't go on a plane that doesn't offer this. I even played trivia with about 10 other people on this screen, and programmed my own little playlist from the CD's that you could choose from.

It was great to get back and see the kids. I missed them. It was a fun trip.

No comments: