Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween 2008

I don't know why my photos loaded backwards. Hmm.
Anyway, Halloween night is over. I admit during the day yesterday I was more of a Halloween grinch and looking forward to just getting the night over with. It doesn't help that Matthew and I had an agreement for most of the month that he wanted to be a firefighter (a costume we already had) and decided he wanted to be a ghost. Normally I wouldn't give in, but he had a rough day of me telling him no on a few other things, I figured I could pick this battle and give in.

However it meant sacrificing a perfectly good white sheet, and trying to pin it on him before he left for trick or treating. Which isn't an easy thing to do with an excited little 6 year old.


I wish I could say that the above photo was photoshopped for color and contrast, but that is honestly how beautiful fall is around here. These are all baby trees too, so when you get into the older areas where the trees are bigger, they are so incredibly gorgeous right now.

Trick or treating is different here. The hours (and sometimes the DAY which isn't always celebrated on the 31st) is in the paper. I actually learned this through 2Peas, but sure enough.... there it was on the front page of the paper -day and hours for Halloween celebrating. It was between 6 - 8 PM. So the kids got to start out while it was still light out, which seemed very strange but kind of neat too. It was neat to see the kids up and down the streets without having to worry about it being dark. I think the youngest kids probably stayed out before the sun went down, and then there was a good hour for the older kids to be out in the dark.

Then at 8:00 the trick or treating kind of stops, but EVERYBODY has firepits in their front yards. So you kind of find yourself a neighbor and sit down and talk while the kids play and eat candy.


My ghost: Matthew.
It is nearly impossible to get everybody to sit still long enough for a photo, so this is the best I could get of everybody this year. Megan was a black cat, to match her American Girl doll's costume, and Trevor was a ninja.


The best costumes I saw last night was a group of high school boys. Keep in mind, it's pretty chilly at night, right? There were 6 of them, all wearing speedos and swim caps. That's it. They were the US Swim Team. It was hysterical!! Every now and then you'd see them sprinting up or down the street to warm up. Everybody was talking about them last night. That was pretty creative, and they were having so much fun. It's good to see the older kids when they are actually having fun. That kind, I don't mind giving candy to!
I realized this morning the one thing I really don't like about Halloween. The fact that before I knew it, I was checking my emails and had already eaten breakfast at my desk without even realizing it. Four fun size Snickers wrappers. The breakfast of champions.


5 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

the kids look great. I remember many times when Alex and I would have the costume already picked out and then she would change her mind a day or so before. Used to drive me crazy. She even did it when she was small..like 3 or 4. Interesting that they have they assign times and activities.

Lisa said...

i love it. it was warmer here then last year. no speedo's here though. ha ha

dave actually was telling me about trick-or-treat hours and i told him that's how they roll in kentucky. ha ha

Maddy said...

I LOVE LOVE the ghost. I wanted Nate to be a ghost for Halloween so stinking badly!

PS Lisa might not have worn a speedo, but I doubt she wore much else ;D

Jamie said...

Your neighborhood looks beautiful!

I have to say that's the cutest ghost I've ever seen. :)

Unknown said...

Oh- it really looks like fall there! If I weren't sitting here in a sweatshirt at 2 in the afternoon, I'd be jealous... ;)

The costumes are all adorable!

And I've been living on the same breakfast lately. Those freaking wrappers are everywhere. And they're all mine! :O