Saturday, June 27, 2009

Finally!

This poor kid has been waiting forever for his first tooth to fall out. Everybody in his class lost one this year and each time he'd come home bummed and ask me when his was finally going to come out. Then when this one finally decided to get a little loose it stayed loose for months... like it was teasing him.
Yesterday we were in the car and he screams "MOMMY!" before he said the rest I about had a panic attack because I thought something was seriously wrong but then he finished up after a pause and said, "MY TOOTH JUST CAME OUT!"
I didn't even have to play the tooth fairy thing with him because he asked me this year if the tooth fairy was real. We had a very serious conversation out on the front steps. For the record he still believes in Santa but he heard at school that the tooth fairy is really your parents. I asked him if he wanted to know the truth. I mean, I would love to have that bit of magic with the last little one in our family, and especially the first tooth, but I also didn't want him going back to school and getting laughed at while he vehemently defended the tooth fairy. So I told him the truth.
The tooth fairy here rocks anyway. We stopped doing money since I was always out of cash anyway. (Megan one year got an IOU, and Trevor got a hotel bar of soap which he knew was a joke....) Those weren't stellar tooth fairy moments, but in my defense Megan lost like 4 teeth all in something ridiculous like a week.) Just when I thought I was clear and didn't have to worry for awhile she'd come show me another one she lost. And it's always late at night... when I can't run to the bank or store. Who has kids and carries cash anymore anyway?
So while Mike was here a couple of weeks ago he grabbed a Star Wars Lego kit that Matthew had been looking at and snuck up to the front of the store to buy it while I went to another register with our groceries and the kids. This time I was prepared for when the tooth did fall out and replaced the baggie with the tooth under his pillow with the Legos.
So at 6:00 in the morning after he woke up... I was tiredly trying to put together Clone Troopers and continue sleeping at the same time. Thankfully Trevor put the ship together since he loves that sort of thing.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

he's so cute. but thanks for ruining it for me!!! the tooth fairy isn't real? i'm saddened and shocked!