Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday, Ironton continued..... Random downtown

There is a quick story about this building below in the next post.

My mom will have to correct me if I'm off the story a bit here. This building (below) was where her grandpa Grimes had a real estate office on the second floor (the boarded up rectangular windows.) She used to spend time there, and took music lessons (accordion) on the third floor above his office. (The rounded windows on the top.) She said at the time there was an inside staircase and you didn't have to climb those steps outside.


(below) The jail. Where my mom spent a lot of time because she was nothin' but trouble. Haha, I'm totally kidding here (she never spent time inside the jail or got into trouble!) but I loved this little building. It is so Mayberry-ish. Complete with the sign for the sheriff's parking only. Every time we walked by this building I kept thinking of Barney Fife telling the kids in Mayberry "It's no fun once that big iron door slams shut. No more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!" It may only be funny to me, but I kept myself entertained with that all day! Tell me this isn't the cutest little jailhouse.
Random church:



(below) My mom looking down the street she used to walk all over as a kid. (She walked everywhere. When we were driving from her house to downtown I kept commenting on the miles she did to get places. I guess I did the same when I was growing up in my area of Phoenix, but when you get older and really see the distance, it's amazing.)
The Dollar General store was Woolworths. I need more stories about adventures in Woolworths. hint hint... mom.



We walked down to the train station where my grandma and my mom used to leave from. I don't know why I don't have pictures of the train station. It was a beautiful building. It has since been turned into a restaurant, but there are photos inside of the building back when it was an actual train station. The lady who was working that day (I'm guessing the manager) told us to come in and look around. She was thrilled to hear that my mom had come back to see the place since she loved it's history just as much.
It's always strange to think of the people coming and going, waiting inside, buying tickets, waiting on the platform..... when you are standing in a restaurant.
The woman who told us to come in and look around was also so nice to have made strawberry smoothies for the kids by the time we were done looking. She insisted that we didn't pay for them. She was very nice.
We walked around the back to see the tracks, and my train loving youngest (with his smoothie!) had to walk on the tracks. My other kids were here this day.... lol, but Matthew was the one who kept asking me to take his picture.









No comments: