Saturday, June 20, 2009

Little random life update....



That's me.

We went to the pool again today and stayed from 2:00 until 6:30. Why is it the sunburn doesn't start to show until like 15 minutes before you are ready to leave?

The kids were hoping to stay until the pool closed at 8, and at first it seemed like a very good idea since they were all happy and I knew it was good for making them tired to sleep well tonight. I was lying on my little deck chair with my eyes closed at one point thinking about how wonderful this was. This is one of the first times I could remember that my kids were old enough that I didn't have to watch every minute of them at the pool. They can all swim now, and I let the lifeguards do the watching. I did get in and play with Matthew a lot, but the few moments that I was relaxing I knew we'd end up at the pool many more times this summer.

All three kids found people their age that they played with too. It was nice.

Until we got home. Then realized how badly burnt we all were. I used a ton of sunblock on all of us but man we are all red and moving very slow. I don't know if sunblock goes bad, but I wonder since this was packed and melting in a moving box last summer if it broke down or what. So after needing to go to walgreens tonight to get some aloe spray I also stocked up on brand new sunblock, face stick stuff for noses and ears and aloe spray. We're good to go.

***********

I got this email from Mike tonight:

I walked at least 15 miles today and have blisters on my feet and very sore ankles. I saw the Eiffel Tower, the River Seine, Champs Elysees, went to the Louvre, saw Notre Dame and a concert in the park, The Sorbonne, The Pantheon and ate a Royale with cheese. I took about 200 photos and will share with you.

He's in Paris for a couple of days before going back to work. It's how the flights ended up to make sure he could get back to work in time. Sometimes the flights just work out this way since he takes two different airlines to get back. Now, under normal circumstances I'd be somewhat jealous about having a couple of days in Paris without me, but remember that he's on his way to work - in Yemen. - Yeah... it's not necessarily a Paris vacay. Plus he's doing it like Globe Trekker.... on the cheap, hence the walking, cheap hotel and no food budget to speak of. LOL! I can't wait to see pictures!

*************

One more random thingie for the night.... after 9:00 at night the fireflies come out like crazy. They only seem to stay out for about an hour after that. So tonight on my way home from walgreens the fields near my house and along Frogtown were literally twinkling with thousands of fireflies. It has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Next month when the fireflies are gone it is time for the frogs! You can't see them, but you can hear them. Which to me... makes me happy too. Because FROGS RULE!

4 comments:

Maddy said...

Oh man, I hear you on the bacon. I got burnt my first time out for the year. It lasted for WEEKS! In fact, it was so bad when I was working out I would start to get bubbles on my chest. BARF!

Qwendykay said...

Ouch Ouch Ouch. And Mike.. In Paris... Ooo I'm jealous! I want to go so bad. Mr. Man goes for work, and it just kills me to not be there with him. Oh well... in due time.

Just a hot tip.. .sunblock is good for about 12 months. It loses it's strength rapidly after that. So while it's better than nothing, it should be replaced annually. (My mom had skin cancer when I was 14, and her wise doc had me SCRUB IN and watch her surgery. Ack! Made me an Anti-sun-worshipper!)

jen paddack-hyde said...

Hope you guys feel better soon. I hate sunburns. I always seem to miss one little spot somewhere that gets horribly red:(

And wow...very jealous of Mike and Paris. Sigh...

Unknown said...

Oh- Sean and I were so excited to get Royal Cheeses in Monte Carlo! We were simpletons back then... ;)