Monday, June 22, 2009

Nostalgia trip... circa 1980

Not too long ago I saw a facebook flair on somebody's signature line at 2Peas. It said, "I love my computer because all of my friends live in there."

I loved that, because it feels so true. There are times that I just love technology. Today I talked via IM with Mike while he was a world away in Yemen. I've had emails from friends in Arizona, and even talked to a few of my neighbors through facebook messages today. I always laugh that I sit on my computer and talk to my neighbor across the street, or have an ongoing conversation with Lisa every single day. The cool thing is, I can sit here at night all by myself by location... but be keeping in touch with people constatly. It really is awesome, and yes I love my computer because of it.

Tonight I was sending Maddy a message and I hear this 'pop' noise and a little box that comes up saying "Hi Kerry." It was my aunt in Florida. (HEY HOLLY!) I have to say, she is by far the coolest. aunt. ever. I adored her growing up. This photo above was taken when she came out to visit sometime in 1980. Holy cow, I was 10 years old - the same age as Megan right now! - I still remember this day.... we went to Pioneer Arizona on I-17 just north of Phoenix.

I got a chance to talk with her a little bit and loved being able to catch up. So I just had to blog a little bit about her. One thing I think that made her really fun was that she could whip me in a game of Pong. How is that for dating myself? I also remember going to the beach in Florida and wading out to a sandbar where she taught me how to pick up sandollars with my toes, how to braid my Barbie's hair that I got for Christmas one year, and especially our badly sung version of Debbie Boone's You Light Up My Life. See? Coolest aunt ever.

Megan has also been enjoying technology lately. She has a list of contacts in her phone that she is constantly texting. I remember when I was a kid and you hoped and wished that the walkie talkies you had would reach far enough to go to your friend's house. They never did and that was a total bummer. - Sometimes she'll text somebody "Hey what are you doing? Want to play?" and the next thing you know she's out the door. Or like the other day when a friend of hers was on her way to Indiana and was texting Megan to keep her company while in the car.

4 comments:

Maddy said...

You look SO MUCH LIKE MEGAN! Weird to see you without blond hair!

nanas said...

I can't believe how much Megan is your clone. I sure miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

How cool is that! I made your blog. It was so good chatting with you. I love the pic.
Love,
Holly

Lisa said...

oh my gosh!!! that pic is so cool! what a honey!!!!