Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday - Ironton, continued.....

This is the front of the courthouse. I LOVE old courthouses (one of my favorites is the one in Prescott.) I love how they used to really be the center of downtown areas where people met, sat on the lawns and on the stairs and how beautiful the buildings always are. The details on old important buildings fascinate me! Especially when you think that they didn't have the technology we do today when building them. All of the ornate, handmade pieces. I like to think of the hands of the people who built them.




When we were headed towards Ironton, my mom was telling me about this story and how she used to wait downtown after the parade. It was a huge annual thing to do. Sure enough, there is a plaque about it. (click on the image if you want to read it.....)



My mom doing what she used to do as a little girl.... walking the wall that surrounds the courthouse. The building in the background (Goldcamps) was a furniture store where my grandma bought furniture. My mom told me the bed that I slept on as a kid and was then handed down to my sister's boys was from this store.



Matthew sitting on one of the cannons on the front lawn.







No comments: