Tuesday, March 17, 2009


If the trees around here are any indication, it looks like spring is here. I remember from the news last year that this area had snow on Easter, so we’ll see what this month brings. But for now I am loving that all of the trees have these bright red or green buds all over them, and the grass is starting to turn green again. I think I like spring. I’m not used to enjoying it as a season, since in Arizona, it’s about a week long. But from what I have noticed here it is an event. There is a lot of yard work going on, with lots of planting. My favorite family nursery that I live by is all stocked with new trees and annuals. It's one of my favorite places to pass on my way home.

Another sign is the Kona truck is back. I have to say there has been a little scene around here that has melted my heart. First Megan went up to her room to get her box of money that she has been saving all winter. She wanted to buy her brothers a snow cone. Then one little girl who lives across the street who is in kindergarten and totally fascinated with Megan, was watching as the kids were all standing in line at the truck. Megan went and asked her mom if she could buy her a snowcone. So the two girls ended up skipping down the street together to buy Molly a snowcone.

Megan never got herself a thing. She’s always like that. She’s going to be a great woman someday. She just makes me so proud.

Then as I was taking a break from trying to fix my stupid garbage disposal, I looked out the window and saw my two boys sitting next to each other on the sidewalk watching the world go by as they ate. They were just talking to each other which was so nice. Sometimes I have to wonder how they can argue and not be able to stand each other but then are the best of friends 5 minutes later. It’s awesome. I’m glad they have each other.

This week has been wonderful now that the weather is beautiful. Since the moment the kids got home from school they have been roaming the neighborhood with other kids. I think there is a big game of hide and go seek that spans about a block wide. That’s the nice thing about the openness here, and no fences. Plus the way the houses are situated, you can see pretty much where everybody is. Then all it takes is a yell out the front door from moms’ everywhere when it’s time for dinner. It’s kind of Norman Rockwell-ish, and I love every bit of it.

No comments: