Tuesday, June 20, 2006

summertime blahs? Try D.I.

I know, a few posts ago I mentioned how this was going to be the best summer ever. Megan was going to be so busy, blah blah blah.

We have hit a brick wall. So many people have gone on vacation, or kids are signed up for summer camps. So after going through the class phone book, there aren't any little girls to come over and play. The kids have read every single book they own and it is too hot to go out and play during the day.

Which of course means the only form of entertainment for the kids is to watch Tv or fight with each other.

Time for some redirection.

I have had a box of stuff to take to DI. I thought we would go for a ride and take our donation stuff. At least then I am accomplishing something and don't have to trip everytime I go out into the garage.

A long time ago, we went inside the store and the kids found some books. So of course they think that they are always going to have a bunch of books to choose from. They really wanted to go inside. Oh heck, why not. It isn't like we have anything else to do.

So they were right after all. We ended up with several books! Magic Tree House books, and two Goosebumps books for 25cents each. Can't beat that...and now Megan and Trevor are upstairs reading.

They also have this huge bin that I call "Happy Meal Heaven." it is where all the lost and thrown out happy meal toys go when they get 'relocated' when moms just can't take the piles of them in your house anymore. It is their last chance of adoption before taking a trip to the big landfill. - The funny thing is, there are always adults digging through this bin instead of kids. Probably looking for some rare happy meal toy to sell on ebay.

Of course in the middle of this madness...Matthew (who of all people would) spots this little Percy train. Being such a good mom (ha ha!) I dive in between a few collector type guys and get the train for my son. 10 cents. He has been playing with it for hours now, and he'll sleep with it tonight for sure. Priceless. (And yes, Percy has already had a bath in the sink.)

I also found a couple pair of Land's End shorts for Trevor. $3 each. Can't beat that.

So, our little trip has earned me a few hours of peace and quiet, and happy children. Yay for DI!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

At first I thought you said DUI!! Had to re-read that one! very nice score. Note to blog readers: don't get between Kerry and a sale item. you will not win!!! :) Oh yeah--I'm home!!!!

Jamie said...

Horray for DI. I bet that was the best 10 cents you ever spent. :)

Michelle said...

you always find great deals there! :)

Unknown said...

Good job, Kerry!

Love that Matthew found Percy right away. They don't miss a thing, do they? ;)