Thursday, May 22, 2008

CSI: Gilbert

Today is bizarre.

First thing, after having a record heat day earlier in the week my kids started out for school freezing today. Before they got in the car they all went up to get jackets. Now it is raining and cold. You wouldn't know today was the first day of summer vacation. But hey, I'm not complaining about the weather AT ALL. I am loving this!

So we went to McDonald's to get breakfast since it was the last day of school. There was a cute little mini pinscher near a dumpster in the back, which is next to a big field. After trying to get the little thing, we had to give up. We were scaring it more than anything else. There is a vet building on the corner with kennels, and I'm hoping that this wasn't an escapee from there. I told them about it, so hopefully their dog chasing skills are better than mine.

Then I come home from an errand and notice that the hamster cage was on the floor. Bedding scattered everywhere, and no hammies to be found.

We have a crime scene here people.

I also notice the cat is acting suspicious and is sitting in the middle of the family room. I picked her up to put her out in our atrium. She knew she was busted because she clawed and bit the crap out of me. I may look like I lost and have a little pee smell, but she's outside so I WON. damn cat.

I looked around for awhile but hadn't found anything. No blood, except for my own wounds from the cat.... no hammie parts, no scene of the murder as far as I can tell.

I even looked up in the kid's rooms where the cat hides her polly pocket pieces that she hunts in the middle of the night. No body there.

Finally I get frustrated enough to pull out the entire tv and look under the entertainment center with my little flashlight. There is ONE hammie! Poor little thing. Now she's in her cage and running on the wheel.

We're still missing one though, and I have still been looking everywhere with my flashlight. Still, in this entire house and all of the cats favorite places I haven't found any signs of hammie demise.

Did they get out and run in different directions? Making it impossible for the cat to catch both of them? Did the cat eat one in one bite making it to where there wouldn't be any evidence? Wouldn't there be blood or fur or something? Is there one hammie still hiding somewhere in the house? Hmm....

One thing I know for sure... my labrador is NO help. She did find the tennis ball under the couch when I lifted it up to see if there was a hole in the bottom of the couch that the hamster could have crawled into. Thanks for the help there Piper.

So wish me luck in finding the missing hammie. If you were a hammie, where would you hide? I plan on letting the suspect back in later and watching her to see if she'll do the hunting for me and narrow the search down to one area at least. Damn cat.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

our hammies always hid in shoes!

Michelle said...

hahahahahaaaaa

yeah, good luck with that!

laura said...

ooohhhh noooo! poor little hamsters!! i hope you find the other one...

Lisa said...

i hope you find the other missing one!! ours always just run around--they can't stay still!

Kaelene said...

Sorry about the hamster drama! My family has a history of losing hammies in a similar manner. Now that you mention it, I should've suspected the cat!
The weather was so bizarre, but NOTHING worth complaining about! :)

jen paddack-hyde said...

this is exactly why we don't let Alex have other "little" animals. I would not want to be the one to find the "missing" pet. Hope you find the other one...