Monday, May 05, 2008

Kentucky bound





I wish I could say this was mine, but I do get to see plenty of it from now on.

I have told some people, but haven't 'officially' broken the news yet. We are going to be moving to Kentucky in one more month. Mike and I have talked about it off and on for quite some time, but due to a lot of circumstances we have finally decided that this move will be the best thing for our family right now. We are planning on heading out the first part of June.

It hasn't been a secret that the commuting with Mike's job has been difficult on all of us. Since his domicile airport is Cincinnati (which is actually IN Kentucky across the river from the city of Cincinnati) he will be able to spend much more time at home. When he is on reserve, he'll be home. When he has been on a trip, he'll be home at the end of the day. This is mucho relief. I wish he could count the hours spent in an airplane flying back and forth to AZ and back as flight hours because I'm sure he's logged a lot just in coming home.

So that's the story. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. I mean, I am a self proclaimed rut kind of girl, and the thought of moving across the country means A LOT of work. I mean I've been in this current house for 4 years now and I finally feel like everything has a home and unpacked! Here we go again!

But, I'm a horse girl. So I will really enjoy that aspect of it. Rolling green hills with white fences, big red barns....

Weather.... I know, ask me again after the first real winter but right now I am so excited at the prospect of seeing FOUR real seasons. We don't get much of a spring or fall in Arizona, there are more like three levels of summer. Warm - bearable hot - and hotter than hell I want to jab a fork between my eyes and end it all HOT. - and a nice mild winter in between.

I know we are going to be such geeks when it comes to seeing our first snow. I have these romantic ideas of snow days with hot chocolate, making snowmen, and white Christmases. Realistically I know that this desert dweller is going to freeze her rear end off, that ice storms suck, shoveling snow sucks, brown/black dirty snow and wet feet suck, plus I have no idea where you keep an ice scraper. Mike called me one day from the airport parking lot during an ice storm and said that the car door was frozen shut. So if you keep the ice scraper IN the car, how do you get to it if your door is frozen shut? Do you keep one on your keychain? What does an ice scraper even look like?!?! This will all be new to me for sure.

No matter what, I really am looking forward to the adventure. I have lived here since I was small, so there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to that will be different. That area of the country has so much to offer, and I plan on taking advantage of free flight benefits to visit Washington D.C. to see the cherry blossoms, go to American Girl in Chicago with Megan, go to New York, and a million other places. I love history, and so much of what I've read about I can go see.

So this is where I have been and why I've probably seemed so quiet. This has been a stressful decision. I'm going to miss so much out here though. Of course my family and my friends. I'll be back though. I don't think they have real mexican food out there. I went to In & Out on the way to taking Mike to the airport today and realized that may be the last time for quite awhile I'll be there! Wow, that freaked me out a bit. I'm so spoiled! California won't always be one state away to just go over on a long weekend. Lots of things.

The kids are really excited! They are all young enough that they aren't worried about meeting new people there. Megan is just as excited as I am about the horsie-ness of it all. I mean, there are horses on the license plates!! And they are all excited about Mike being home more again. We'll be moving at a perfect time too. Right when they get out of school here. Then we'll have a big family road trip, which we are all excited about.

I'll keep in touch. There is always email and blogs. I promise! But there you have it. It feels like such a load off of my shoulders knowing that we've made the decision and things are starting to roll. :) Now... who's good at packing? ;)

11 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

dude...I'm am now regretting the inability to get my butt over there to meet you. Kentucky is a little farther that I usually get to...I can imagine this was a hard decision to make and I think it's great that you are making one that is best for every one involved. You are definitely going to have different weather...lol. Looking forward to reading about your new adventures:)

Anonymous said...

wow i about fell off my chair! sad to hear you are leaving! i'm glad thought that it is the best thing for your family and can't wait to read about everything on your blog! good luck with all of it!

Shanna said...

You know I ain't mad! You'll be within driving distance of me! YAY!!! Well....for a fun road trip anyway!

Kaelene said...

Isn't life funny, Kerry? Just when you thought you were destined to an Arizona life, your husband makes a career change and POOF! the train you were on takes a different track.
But, doing what is best for your family is really what matters! (Not to mention your own mental health, right??)
We still love ya and hope the best for you!
I'm pretty good at packing . . . I even have a great system (at least in my brain!) that I have yet to try! You could be my guinea pig!
♥ Kaelene

Maddy said...

So what happened with the garage sale? I came to drop off the stuff. Did you find my check?

I won't mention you moving because I'm still in denial!

Lisa said...

i bet there's a KFC on every corner!! come back and see me and i'll take you out for some good mexican food!

oh yeah--you need 2 scrapers--one in the car and one in the garage! ha

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you and am happy your hubby will be with the family more.

Big question here...do they have SONIC????

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like a wonderful adventure! I imagine the stress and strain of all that commuting such a long distance will wear a person out. Having your family all together will make you a happier camper too. It's hard to do all that on your own!

(plus....shhhhhh....you give me a perfect reason to visit Kentucky. Dang, will it have a wonderful open air room like your Arizona house? You know I love that)

Qwendykay said...

I am sooooo excited for you. And from someone who has done the long distance commuting thing for far too long... I admire you and wish I could go back a few years and say to stubborn self... just move... you'll be okay, you'll make new friends, you will have a happier marriage... just MOVE.

laura said...

oh kerry - it's so far away!!!! i'll miss you being just one state away!

but i know this is good for you and your family. and i am going to be jealous of your 4 seasons! (even though CLEARLY i'd freeze to death in the snow!)

MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!! :)

sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

I have relatives in Kentucky... I think you'll love it. My only experience is being stuck in the Cincy airport during an ice storm... LOL.

((HUGS)) I know that's a huge decision, and you're in my thoughts!!!

(BTW... this is KKT. I changed me screen name to "Holly Wood" because I was bored... LOL! But just so you don't think some random freak is stalking you...)