Sunday, May 21, 2006

BEST SUMMER evah!


"Parenting. It is hard. But when you have a good day you think you just might be catching on."

I can't remember what movie that is from, but for some reason it is stuck in my mind. I think of that quote all the time.

Especially today. With the end of another school year coming to a close, and one where we had some drastic changes moving the kids during the middle of the school year.... I know that we did something right. Without a doubt.

Have you ever just been SO happy for your child that you almost think you are more excited then they are? That you are so happy and so proud it feels like your heart is going to leap out of your chest??

What a difference this next summer is going to be. See, the reason for moving Megan to a new school was because she was going to a school far from our neighborhood. She had friends at school, but then when she came home or during summer vacations, she didn't have any friends from the neighborhood. She was always asking me why she never got invited over to anybody's houses to play.

This summer is going to be so freakin' AWESOME! Today she was invited over to a friend's house to go swimming and play. She was there for five hours!! She had a total blast. THEN we got a call from another friend from her classroom...

the mom put together a party for her daughter which includes going to a local hotel that has a water park. The girls will get to swim all day, and then they are going out for dinner that night! Then a slumber party in a big room at the hotel. (Same room we all hung out in in November - girls!) So they will get to watch movies and have fun. It is a small group, but I am just totally GIDDY with excitement for Megan! What a difference from last summer. She is so happy, and feels so good about herself. And she feels like a normal 8 year old. (Well, 7 and a half.) ;) You know how important those half years are when you are a kid.

Mike and I are going to have another room, which some of the other parents are doing too. So we will be close by, yet able to have an overnight for ourselves. Yay!

Plus there are already a couple of summer birthdays that she has been invited to. This is going to be the best summer for her so far. It makes me so happy. :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa. Kerry changed her blog! Cool! :)

I'm so excited for Megan! So glad you guys made the switch, and it sounds like she's going to have a great summer. Just make sure she doesn't overbook so there's some room in there for playdates with my Meghan...;)

Kerry said...

Ha ha. Well...Mike changed my blog. I needed help. ;)

Meghan is definitely IN the plans! Are you kidding?? ;)

Lisa said...

what the hell?? When did the blog get changed and so many posts? I've only been gone a few hours!!! OK--megan looks too cute! How fun for both of you! That quote isn't from Parenthood is it?

Unknown said...

Omigosh! Kerry- when you copied the links I sent you, I forgot that the names would stay! Hee! Now you're taking jabs at Michelle, too... ;)

To get colored text, when typing, click on the "T" in the toolbar, and the color choices will pop up. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Bwahahaha! I just saw your ticker at the bottom. I'm so there counting down with you, baby! ;)

Unknown said...

I'm back. Talk about a flapping mouth, huh? Anyway- I don't know about you, but I decorate on the 1st of October, so I'm thinking you need to change the date on your ticker to October 1st instead of the 31st. Five months looks like fooorrrreeevvveeerrrr! ;)

Anonymous said...

How cool for Meghan!!!! I wish there were some kids in my hood for my girls to play with! It's gonna be a long one around here!

Anonymous said...

What a great post Kerry!
That picture of her is just so perfect. SUCH a little girl.

She really sounds like she's in for a fun summer. You too. I love it when parents can kind of benefit from the fun too.

I bet it's in the 100's there.
It's rainy and chilly here in Seattle. Weird day. I'm watching the rain drip off my rhododendren tree in front of the window here. Bright pink rhodies. Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

I love it when things fall into place like that:) Sounds like a cool summer.

Did I mention I'll be in Arizona in September??;) Hoping to meet up with you for some scrapbook shopping....

Anonymous said...

Kerry I know exactly how you feel. That is so EXCITING for HER and YOU! She is such a doll. Tammi

Maddy said...

WHOA! Is Beth a comment ho or what? Geeeeeeeez, she never talks that much in e-mail, but get her on a blog and she won't shut up! ;)

So happy for Megan and jealous of you and Mike. I want to stay at a resort. . .must.pawn.off.children

JAFP said...

That's my little girl! I'm so happy that this is working the way we planned it.

It is going to be a great summer.

Like George Kostanza would say, "It's the summer of Megan"!