Tuesday, January 01, 2008

happy new year!

It's January!

The holidays went pretty well, and I loved them, but I honestly have to say that I'm glad that the world will be somewhat back to normal. With the exception of today, still. I hate not knowing who is open, what the holiday hours are and all that. So starting tomorrow.... I'm looking forward to a normal existence again.

The kids and I stayed up until midnight last night. Mike was home for a few days, but had to leave for the airport late last night. At midnight we went outside expecting to make a little noise but nobody on our street was out. I heard some fireworks in the distance, and some cars honking, but that was about it. I remind the kids every year that there isn't that much excitement other than they know they get to stay up late. Matthew came outside and said, "This is boring."

The kids are still home from school for winter vacation. We have been to a couple of movies, had a lot of park time when Mike was home, and tomorrow we're probably going to the zoo. It has been so nice having them home and having everybody under one roof.

I'm excited about the new year. 2007 was trying at times, (to say the least!) and I'm sure the new year will have some as well, but there are some things that are finally coming to fruition in 08.

I need to go back through my blog from the past year, but I think we may have hit a family record with medical situations this year. I believe Mike was the only one who required any help from E257! One ambulance ride, one E.R. trip (non ambulance ride), three hospital stays and two surgeries. I know it seems like a strange thing to keep track of, but with peanut allergies, motrin allergies, breathing trouble and all that, it's just one of those things we've kept track of over the years. ;)

Hopefully the only one this new year will be Piper, when she goes in to have her girly bits taken care of this month.

Happy new year!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Kerry!
I'm so with you on getting back to normal business hours! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to all the Shumways! Congrats on the decrease of medical emergencies but damn, Mike's kidney stone was as severe and awful as it comes. I think that counts as 10 ER visits. Spoken by a fellow kidney stone sufferer/survivor!

I miss your pictures. When are more coming?

laura said...

you DID have a tough year, didn't you? (((hugs))) and hopes for a much calmer 2008. xoxo