Thursday, September 04, 2008

random photo, random updates

Is that not the coolest red door ever? It's at a church in Fort Thomas. When the weather gets better and there is an overcast day I'm taking the kids back there to take pictures. I LOVE this door. I even programmed it in my GPS so I can find it again.

Soooo....

This week has been HOT. Which is such a contrast to all of the 'end of summer' celebrations around here. For 40 some years Cincinnati has held the most incredible fireworks show along the river. This year we watched it on tv, but next year we'll be down in the middle of it all for sure.

It is timed with music from a local radio station, and I can't even imagine the budget they have for this. First of all, the radio station's mascot is a frog. So hearing all of these electronic stereo frogs ribbiting from all areas before the show was COOL. But fireworks were shot off from barges on the river, and two of the big bridges were closed, where they had fireworks as well. One set off of the bridge cascaded from the road area down onto the water like a waterfall. It was amazing. Then timed to go off like runway lights, hanging circular things that went back and forth... it was just plain old cool and I can see why it is such a big deal for a lot of people to go to. It's the official so long to summer show.

There are already signs everywhere for corn mazes, pumpkin patches, homegrown produce and decorations out. I'm giddy! Fall is close, and it's my favorite time of year. I'm especially excited to see a fall that lasts more than one week!

Homegrown summer produce is running rampant right now. We have bags of the most gorgeous red tomatos that we have been eating with dinner every night. Plus okra, peppers, and basil. I've learned not to grow my own, but to gladly accept what people are trying to get rid of at the end of summer!

The kids are doing incredible at school, which I'm hoping stays that way given the economic climate right now. I'm hoping they get to stay there and we don't have to resort to plan B and end up moving again.

Megan was telling me today about a boy she likes in her class. It got me to thinking that this girl has had a crush in every grade since kindergarten. Who knew this stuff started so early. (Sorry Maddy.) But I love how open she is to talking to me about this stuff. We definitely are open to good communication, and I know we'll always have that wide open.

The kids pretty much run free after school for a little bit. It is amazing to see how many of them get out and play with each other, riding up and down the street. It's great that there doesn't seem to be 'age discrimination' like I'm used to from our last neighborhood. 6th graders play catch with kindergarteners, and boys and girls race each other on bikes, skateboards or scooters. It's awesome.. and makes for a lot of socializing with the parents who are all out standing in front of houses with their iced tea. It's kind of Norman Rockwell-ish.

Other than that, nothing new going on here. It's hard to believe how much time has gone by and I honestly don't know where the day goes by the time it's all done with. Even now I'm being bugged to make sundaes as promised after making dinner. Then bed time. Yay!

3 comments:

Kaelene said...

That is a WAY cool door! Great photo op!
Miss you! I hope that you guys get to stick with Plan A! ♥

Lisa said...

i love the door and your digi frame! that fireworks show sounds fantabulous!

Unknown said...

Must find a cool door for photo ops...

Your neighborhood sounds awesome! Ours is finally like that now, too. And in another couple weeks, the kids will be taking advantage of the cooler temps and running around it, too! ;)