Sunday, September 14, 2008

Yowza!

School Closed 9-15-08Due to the storms that passed through the area today and this evening, the Boone County Schools will be closed on 9-15-08. Our thoughts are with all of you as you begin cleanup. Stay safe and we will see your kids on Tuesday.

**********

This is the email I got tonight. Needless to say, the two kids that are still awake are far from it now. They are beyond excited.

Wow, we had some wicked storms today. I haven't watched the news yet, but the little bit I have read on the computer said that in one area close to my house (In Independence Kentucky) that 70% of the houses in the neighborhood have damage, the entire Cincinnati metro area up to 820,000 people without power (yeah... I double checked that number... that's right!) and the top of the Delta hangar at the airport was damaged. That is one big building. That would have been interesting to see that.

It's also interesting when you have no idea how bad things are around you. We were all tucked inside today without any tornado warnings, but busy watching things flying around in the air. There were gusts of wind up to 75 mph. My neighbor had some siding in his yard, lots of houses missing roof tiles and a lot of knocked down baby trees. (Including one in my yard. I was so sad, since this is the second tree to go down during a storm in our yard since moving here.) But.. looking at the big picture, a tree is nothing to worry about. We also lost the caps to our carriage lights outside our door. They are found, but for now they are sitting on the desk next to me.

Believe it or not, I saw what had to have been one of the strangest sights ever. We live on a pretty steep street. The wind was blowing up the hill. A basketball was rolling UP the hill as fast as it would have been if it was rolling down the hill. I couldn't believe it. It was the weirdest sight ever.

Here's to sleeping in a little longer tomorrow... and some good thoughts and prayers for anybody who was affected by the storm.

3 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

yikers! That's some storm. It must be weird going from Arizona (with no real seasons) to this type of weather.

Lisa said...

so strange i bet to see such weather. hopefully no more bad storms to come your way!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys made it thru ok!