Wednesday, December 27, 2006

well that was quick

I HAVE RECLAIMED MY FAMILY ROOM!!

The tree is down, and the cat is ticked off. She thought she found a new favorite spot underneath it to sleep all day. She was seriously giving me the evil eye from a few feet away. I had to constantly remind her of where she came.... pound kitty. You can't be so pampered that you forgot that six months ago you were laying on a concrete slab. Reality check kitty. ;) Always remember from whence you came.

I did ask the kids if they would mind if the tree came down. Honestly, I would have taken it down on Christmas night, but I remember how much I loved the Christmas tree when I was a kid. I used to go sit and stare at it for hours. It could be that I was just watching to make sure that it didn't catch on fire. Who knows. We used to have those big lights that got really hot. Maybe that is where my OCD of checking and rechecking hot things comes from. Like candles that I KNOW I blew out, but I still have to go back and make sure the flame didn't spontaneous combust again. It is deep seeded in my mind from the old Christmas tree! See, now who needs therapy when I just figured that out all on my own!

Still, I am glad to have a big open spot in my house again. The kids kind of like it too since it has already been filled with another train track. - And was it MY idea to get the boys nerf machine guns??? I have been dodging flying nerf bullets all day. You have to love it though. They are having so much fun with all of the new toys.

One of the weirdest things was tucking the green and red totes back into the storage under the stairs. I really don't get into other holidays like I do for Halloween and Christmas, so I realized that I won't be pulling any of those color coordinated plastic totes out for many more months. Those boxes kind of give me hope during the summer when I see them and know that cooler weather really does exist here. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ellie keeps asking me why our tree is still up. it's staying up foreeever

Michelle said...

Congrats on getting your stuff down already. I know getting mine is goign to be GRRRRRUELING (lol)

I decided I'm leaving mine up till after new years. I mean the thing is so new it's still alive! hahaha and that's without even putting water in it (yeah, I always forget that - shocking I realize! LOL)

Kerry said...

Michelle! I think you are the only person I know that has a real tree! Holy cow!

Maddy, somehow I can see you keeping yours up all year. ;)

Anonymous said...

I almost took our tree down yesterday, but that would have meant it was only up for 1 week! Seems like we should enjoy it for a few more days so it'll stay til Friday. It smells wonderful so that's the plus.

The house always seems bigger once all the Xmas stuff comes down, doesn't it?

SuburbanMom said...

Ooh, you're so good! I won't take our stuff down until next week I think.

Lisa said...

well, since i didn't want any christmas up then i don't have to take it down. dave said he would do it and i am making that one stick!

Anonymous said...

lol at the cat knowing her place! :D

i had to take my tree down. it was seriously, horribly dead. a real fire hazard. i was bummed. i would love to keep it up until after new years. i am buying a freshly cut tree next year. this dead-tree-two-before-christmas-even-start crap sucks! >:(

glad it made you feel good to get it down! :)