Friday, January 19, 2007

hummingbirds.


When we moved into this house, there was a hummingbird nest in the ficus tree right outside the window. I got into the habit of checking all the time to see how mommy bird was doing, and if the babies had hatched yet. Finally one day, I put up the feeder, kind of in hopes that the mom wouldn't have to work so hard to go find food. (I mean, I would have appreciated if somebody moved the refrigerator closer to me when I had infants right?)

Since then the evil landscaping people have killed my ficus tree, and I put a new one in. It is much smaller right now, which kind of bums me out.

But the hummingbirds keep coming back. Lots of them! I still love to watch them, and they actually get kind of mad at me when I am out in the atrium. They will buzz and hover right by you like this is their spot... not yours!

Today it is raining, and I don't know if it does anything to make them more active, but they have been stopping at the feeder like crazy. Providing cheap entertainment for both me and the cat who doesn't realize that she can't jump through the arcadia door.

So I just wanted to share a picture of one of my visitors today. They are the cutest little things!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome picture!!!

lisa

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURE! I loved all the rain we got yesterday! Tammi

Anonymous said...

What a great picture Kerry

Jamie said...

Great picture. I could spend hours watching humming birds.

Anonymous said...

So glad you still have your hummingbirds!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is flippin cool Kerry!!! I love it!!!!

Unknown said...

So cool! My mom has a feeder, and we spend many afternoons on her front porch watching them.