Monday, January 15, 2007

A NONsleepover.

That is about what it was. Megan had a friend spend the night last night. It is a new girl who moved into her school right after Christmas break. They have been inseparable since last Monday.

The story that this little girl comes with just reminds me how important family is. How important my children are to me. This little girl couldn't live with her mom anymore. Her mom has a drug problem. She would go to school dirty and the other kids would make fun of her and throw sand in her hair. Long story short... she was officially adopted by her grandparents. They just moved here and moved her to a new school to get a fresh start. This is what amazes me. They are nice NICE people, and I admire them so much for stepping up to the plate and making a decision like this when they were in their retirement years. It can't be easy, but I'm positive it will be worth it. And so nice that this little girl won't end up lost in the system.

This poor little thing, you can tell, comes with a lot of baggage. She tries so hard to be friends with everybody and even tried paying Megan $5 for being nice to her after just a couple of days of school. :(

She was so polite to us. It just breaks my heart to think of what kind of life she has had already, at just 8 years old.

Just go hug your kids. Realize what a blessing children really are. They can go through so much and still have the sweetest little spirits, and trust us even when their trust has been broken by so called adults in the past. I am so incredibly lucky. Really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so true. it amazes me what kids can endure. carson has a friend with the same scenario--fortunately she lives with her dad. but i am so happy to have my kids and that they have parents who love them!

Anonymous said...

Oh man.. that breaks my heart. But hooray for her new friend, her new start.

We totally want to foster-to-adopt kids, because we feel like maybe.. just maybe.. we can give them a fresh start.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad Megan has become her friend! They can be there for each other. :)

Anonymous said...

:( So sweet that Megan is her friend. When I taught school there was a little girl in a similar situation. She sucked her fingers as a habit from when she was a baby and her mother didn't feed her. I wish some of the girls had been nicer to her. YEAY for Megan.