Monday, January 08, 2007

Punch buggy gone BAD.


Does anybody else's family play Punch Buggy? You know, when you are out and each time you see a VW beetle you are supposed to yell PUNCH BUGGY! I think the old rules are you are supposed to actually punch somebody next to you and yell it, but I have changed the rules in our family to no hitting.

Anyway... our point system goes like this:

Old beetle: 5 points.
New bettle: 1 point.

Today after we picked up the kids from school, Mike asked if I wanted to take the kids and do an errand with him to North Phoenix. OK, technically it is 'family time' and I knew we would get dinner out of it.

We are playing our game, and I am all smug because *I* have 13 points. It is always pretty exciting to get a 5 point car, let alone 2! I was pretty stoked. Mike only had 3. He was driving, so he had a handicap, but he yells faster than I do, so it works out even. I also might add that this particular game was getting so heated that the kids bowed out and we decided to do teams instead. ;)

So feeling bad for the poor guy, I come up with a new rule. "If you see a VW THING, you get 20 points!!!" I haven't seen one in years, so I figure I'm pretty safe with coming up with this silly rule. I was throwing him a bone, right???

Would you believe we passed by a VW restoration place???? In less than 10 seconds, Mike calls PUNCH THING! PUNCH BUGGY....blah blah blah. I stutter and can't even call a one point bug. I'm just yelling, "Aaaa! Aaaaa!" Mike got FIVE 5 point old beetles and a freakin' THING! 45 points in one shot. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm a sore loser. :p

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yeah--we call it slug bug. i even did a layout on it. but we have some hilarious rules and we have added different cars that have nothing to do with a VW. we played it when we drove dallas to the mtc and by the time we got to utah, dallas and taylor were in it for blood!! HA HA

Anonymous said...

LOL! We call it slug bug too..
although our debate right now is I say it doesn't count if it's in a parking lot!! HA HA!!Good times!

Stephanie said...

That is so funny!!! Love the story!!

Unknown said...

Too funny! There is so much competitive juice in our family, I don't think it would be a good idea... ;)

Anonymous said...

oh that's funny!!! i'm a sore loser too... i have a family circus cartoon from about five years ago hung up on my refrigerator. the little guy (pj?) is holding a board game and asks, "anyone feel like losing a game to me?"

Jamie said...

LOL! We also called it slug bug. I've thought about teaching it to the boys but they really don't need another reason to hit each other.

Anonymous said...

lol @ playing slug bug!

we point out VWs, but only to talk about how cool they are! haven't decided to move on to the slugging part yet. i could see it getting out of control...

Anonymous said...

I've neevr even heard of a THING!

Anonymous said...

Sphincter says what?