Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years Day!

I could probably copy and paste my entry from last year, since that is exactly how last night went. All that waiting up until midnight, only to be dissapointed by the total lackluster welcome of the new year by our neighborhood. Let's face it, we are a typical suburban neighborhood with lots of little kids. There are some parties, but for the most part I think people just fall asleep and wake up in the new year.

The kids stayed up and we stood outside in the cold. Finally we yelled happy new year and went back in. Mike and I were SO tired, but kept trying to stay up since the kids were excited. About 10 minutes before midnight he said, "I should have thought about this two hours ago...change all the clocks back two hours so we could have gone to bed at 10:00." Next year I am going to remember that. We could even turn on the New York station on the satellite to prove to them that it was officially a new year. Heehee!

*****

Today we took the kids out to lunch and then to Freestone park. We brought their new scooters with them. They were so funny. Instead of staying on the sidewalk, they found these huge dead grassy hills that they would ride the scooters down. They had a great time. The best is that they wore themselves out running back up the hill before going down again! Hopefully that means tonight an earlier bedtime for them. They need to start getting back into a schedule anyway since school will start again in another week.

Megan got a pair of Heelys yesterday. They are the shoes that have the skate wheel in them. She has been practicing so hard to get the right stance to actually skate on them. It must be a lot harder than it looks. I secretly wish that I had a pair. Could you imagine being able to push a cart around Target with a pair of those? Not that I want to cut my shopping time in half, but think of the square footage I could cover with those! Wheeeeee! I could knock down any other woman headed towards a clearance endcap like one of those roller derby girls.

Happy new year! I am actually so happy that 2007 is here. Not that 2006 was bad, I'm just happy to get a fresh start. To know that there aren't any major holidays or birthdays in our family for several months. I don't even have any resolutions to speak of. I know what I need to do, but if I write them down or even label them as resolutions, I'm bound to give up on them. I have to admit that I plan on doing the 'photo a day' thing, since, well, I pretty much do anyway. No big jump for me there, but I'll try my best to post them throughout this year. Um, starting tomorrow! Haha!

This should be a very good year! Best wishes!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Years Kerry! I am so lucky to have you in my life! Here's to 2007 and it's many adventures!

Anonymous said...

i totally think that you should get the heelies! that would be awesome! ;)

sorryou your new year's eve was lackluster. it is such an overrated holiday. good idea about setting the clocksup! ;)

happiest of new years to you, kerry! you are the best! :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year:) I call my resolutions "intentions" just so I don't feel bad when I don't actually carry them through...lol...hoping this year will be different though. I'm looking forward to 2007!

BTW I LOVED that e-card you sent me...so awesome!

Unknown said...

We stayed up, and like you, were the only ones out front at midnight. I let the kids spin the clackers and yell for 30 seconds. I hope they woke a bunch of people up. ;)

Freestone Park is great! Next time, get ice blocks and let the kids ride those down the hills- serious fun!

Happy New Year again! :)

Kerry said...

OH MY GOSH! There were a ton of people with ice blocks!! I wondered what they were at first! That is so funny, that must be some sort of Freestone tradion. Those were the hills the kids were scootering down. I actually kept thinking we were going to end up with a broken arm or leg. Ice may be safer next time.

I think we should do this after scrapping some night. All of us, late, at the park. Freezing our asses off.