Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July! I'm usually not a big fan of the 4th ... I had a sparkler burn me when I was a baby so I'm sure I have some supressed memories left over from that. ;)

But... the 4th in Arizona is always hot, and fireworks don't start until after 9:00, which for the past several years with small children in the house has made it pretty uneventful as well, since kids are usually in bed.

The one nice thing is that the fireworks were usually set off from the high school near our house, which made it perfect for us to set up some chairs in the driveway and watch for the 20 minutes or so that they are going on. The school is right down the street from us, so we had a great view. Plus the bonus of refrigerated drinks and a bathroom near by. Sweet.

This year, they decided to move the fireworks show farther south in Gilbert. I'm not really a big enough fan of fireworks on the 4th to actually GO somewhere to watch them, but this year we have company. So we'll be out with the masses... in the AZ summer evening. (It should only be a little over 100 by the time the sun goes down, right???)

BUT I did get a chance to go out and start a little bit of back to school clothes shopping today. Some of the stores have some killer sales for the holiday, so M and I went to go check some things out. This isn't even our official mother and daughter all out girly clothes shopping trip yet. Which I am SO excited to get started on!

We found some cute shirts, shoes and even several adorable earrings. She is looking so grown up it scares me. You know you have reached some important milestone when accessories have become part of the school clothes shopping. Although I did have to remind her that a cell phone is not appropriate 4th grade attire. (where do they get these ideas anyway???) It's crazy!

2 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

yeah, we just watched the fireworks from our living room...we're on a hill in Monterey and we have a perfect shot of the show:) We hate having to go down with ALL the thousands of people...hopeyou had a good fourth!!!

Maddy said...

I'm not a big 4th of July lover either. The fireworks here didn't strat until after 10! GRRRRRR! Luckily my kids were still on semi-Arizona time, so it wasn't as late for them. But seriously -- fireworks until 11. That's crazy!