Tuesday, July 03, 2007

this summer's tv obsession

Do you ever get caught up in a show that apparently the rest of the world has been watching? Then you get so obsessed about it, you season pass it on the tivo? Heck, even though about 5 reruns a day record, I still watch them ALL.

That is the best part about when this happens. You catch up with several season's worth of shows, that they are all new to you. Four years ago, it was Trading Spaces, Then I caught up with a season of LOST, and then last summer it was Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel.

Today I'm talking about this summer's obsession for me. TLC's What Not To Wear.

I came about it in a round about way. My mother in law watches it. When I was needing some clothes for our last cruise, she helped me pick out some things. She kept making reference to this show.

OK, so I finally watched it. Oh my gosh, I love it. I love watching other people shop! Maybe because there was a little part of me who used to love shopping like that! Then I went through a period of dirt poor-ness, and then I started having kids. Clothing took a back seat. Even farther. Think school bus. That many seats back.

Dressing up for me is a pair of jeans and my favorite brown Life Is Good tshirt.

So I do enjoy watching other people shopping, and spending $5000 on new clothes. I have to say though that I don't understand people who have a hard time buying bags. No matter what the financial situation I was in, or how many children... I love purses. It is genetic. You should see my sister and my mom. Plus they are one size fits all.

The sad thing is, about EVERY episode has some sort of fashion no no that screams me.

-Grabbing tshirts from the husband's side of the closet.

-Having only ONE bra (yeah, yeah I know.) which even that is screaming to be retired since there isn't any stretchyness to it anymore.

-mom jeans

- I have shoes, but I always go right for the ugliest pair of speedo flip flops that I own. They sit by the garage door, and out we go. That is living in Arizona. Flip flops year round.

-and probably the worst is that I haven't come to terms with the fact that my body is a lot different since hitting the 30s and having three children. Ugh. I have to say that I bounced back to my size 10 self quickly after having Megan and Trevor, but I swear that Matthew left something behind since that is when things started getting WEIRD.

The sad thing is, Megan watches this with me. When we were out the other day she told me that I needed a shirt with an empire waist. Because "You have to accentuate the thinnest part of your body - under the ribcage."

What?!?!? Great, now I'm getting fashion advice from my 8 year old.

I think I'm just a fashion lost cause. ;)




2 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

I was down to one bra just last week...Nate made me go buy more...so now I have 3 more:P

Alex is constantly giving me fashion advice adn looking at me like I'm crazy when I do show her something I like...she is a fashionista though so...LOL

Maddy said...

It's the 3rd kid! I swear!!!!