Wednesday, August 08, 2007

first day of school: part 2




I took Matthew to school. It was so weird being in a place that my other two kids went to kindergarten at! He showed me where his classroom was, and then he found his desk. He knew where he was sitting from the night before when he went to meet the teacher.

He sat right down and was watching as the rest of the kids came filing in. A lot of parents stayed for the first 15 minutes, taking pictures and just watching. I got a few pictures of Matthew and then ducked off to the side for a few minutes. The teacher told them to pick up the pencils on their desks and start drawing a picture of themselves.

A few minutes later I decided I was going to go. I went back up to tell Matthew goodbye and he looked up at me kind of surprised and said, "What are you still doing here?" Well I guess I don't have to worry about any separation anxiety then do I?

I left. I admit that I got a little teary eyed when I was in the parking lot. It is SO wierd to leave one of your kids knowing that they are a few miles away from your house.

But we did it. Matthew had a great day at school and told me that he loves his teacher and that recess is his favorite part. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This---> It is SO wierd to leave one of your kids knowing that they are a few miles away from your house.
I totally get. It is such an odd feeling, huh? And if you're anything like me, while you were walking to that parking lot you had a sudden mental flash to a natural disaster and wondering how long it would take you to get to the kids. Ugh. I hate being a worry wort sometimes. ;)

So glad he had a good day!

Kerry said...

apparently all moms have similar brains too, because that is exactly what I did! Haha!

There is at least some comfort in knowing the other kid's school is within the same mile block. I don't know why.

Yep, it's official. We worry too much.

laura said...

he looks SO GROWN UP!!

i sometimes have to think about where the kids are. when sarah was at her dance camp or speech, i'd have these little flashes of OMG! WHERE'S SARAH?!?! and then i'd remember she was safely off somewhere having fun. but for that moment, sheesh! ;)