Wednesday, August 15, 2007

first week of school

Thank you mystery blogger! ;)

I remember thinking I'd have so much time once the kids started school. So far everyday has been FULL. Granted, I'm able to get more accomplished in a day than if I had company with me, but I'm trying to get caught up after an entire summer's worth of stuff. The big day to relax or sneak in a nap is close. I can just tell.

Today also marks a week in school, since they started last Wednesday. You wouldn't know it considering how well they've all fallen back into schedule and everything. Megan and Trevor both love their teachers, and any anxiety about not having best friends in their classes is over. I know they are both going to have an incredible year this year!

Matthew has done really well in kindergarten. He loves his teacher, and I love seeing the work he's been bringing home with him! It is so cute! I love helping him with his homework too.

He did have a rough day yesterday though. The night before we had a storm, and I guess a tree branch was low enough for a group of little boys to go over and try to hang from it. Matthew was standing on the ground and a boy pulled the branch down on Matthew. It gave him a huge gash on his neck and chest. He was so bandaged up when I picked him up from school.

I also noticed after getting him home that he had scratch marks on his head. On his temple on one side, and the other side from his ear down his neck. They were going a different direction than the tree gash. Obviously they weren't from the tree. Oddly enough there were about four on each side, and about finger width apart. Hmmm.

After calling the school, the teacher said she didn't know about the other scratches. I believe the tree story since the teacher on the playground saw that one happen, but Matthew told me that a boy scratched him after that too. He looks like he got in a fight with a cat.

I was really sad to think that somebody was mean to him already. But sadly enough, a part of me was so relieved to know that MY kid isn't the bully! I asked him what he did after the boy scratched him, and he said he went to play with somebody else. This kid was apparently mad at him for not going down the slide fast enough.

Did he tell the teacher? No, but he knows to now.

Did he fight the kid back? No, which he would have clobbered his brother if Trevor did it to him.

So I know somewhere in there he knows that he can't do that sort of thing at school. He holds his own if he has to, but I'm relieved to see that he knows the difference.

He has two really good friends so far. It is so cute hearing him talk about them.

He looks so big now. I know he likes feeling big like his brother and sister since he gets to go to school too.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

i am glad that your kids are getting in the routine at school. bummer about matthew being injured at school. i am sure he cand handle himself though. it seems like he is doing just fine.

laura said...

oh yikes about the owies and the scratching! that's gotta be tough. but matthew definitely seems like he can hold his own!

glad school is going well! :)

miss you@