Friday, November 10, 2006

I'm not a real photographer, but I play one at church.

Aw man. Tomorrow is a day that I have been afraid of for over a month now.

Several months ago, a woman from my church was over visiting and she was commenting on the photos that I have on a photo shelf in my living room. She asked where I got them taken, and I said that I took them in my garage. Natural lighting with a black cloth draped over the back of my car. Then we just got into photography in general. I told her that sometime if they wanted to, for enrichment evening or something I could bring some of my stuff, and do the little 20 minute talk about how to get some cute pictures of your kids with stuff you have at home, natural lighting and all that stuff. Not that I am a professional by any means, but for enrichment evenings they are always trying to pull from your ward the talents or hobbies from the members. It is really a fun night.

Anyway.... long story short.... last month a woman from relief society asked me if I would mind taking pictures during super saturday. (A big craft day at church, where you can sign up for several different crafts or just come for brunch and work on baby blankets.) I said, "sure." At the time it seemed like a lifetime away, so I wasn't all that worried.

What in the heck was I thinking??? I have about 12 families signed up to have their picture taken for Christmas cards tomorrow! Holy cow. The woman in charge of this made the sign up sheet to where each group was 20 minutes apart, so I don't need to stress about that. She has also been SO good about calling me and making sure if I need anything, like a helper, or somebody to get me something to eat, etc. She has been so sweet to work with. I just love her.

Mike was really nice, and always supportive, and this week surprised me with a new flash for my camera, and a stand and black backdrop that he ordered. So I don't have to duct tape my old black cloth on the wall. I'll at least look like I know what I am doing! LOL! (I have been wanting this stuff for awhile, so it will come in handy at the house too.)

I'm just really nervous. I know I shouldn't be, and my friends and family that have heard this story keep reminding me that I'm not getting paid for this and that most people are just going to be happy to have a photo with ALL of them in it. You know how the moms or the designated photographer of the family is usually absent from photos. Ugh. I just don't know why I always have to be so hard on myself. I just want everything to be perfect. I want everybody to be THRILLED with the pictures that they get back. You know that feeling when you look at one of your pictures that just makes your heart skip a beat because it is so perfect??? That is what I want!

All I can say is thank goodness for digital. I'll be taking a thousand pictures tomorrow. Unless I am lucky enough to break my arm or something today that makes it impossible for me to do this tomorrow. ;)

Wish me luck. - and if I make it through it ok, I'll update tomorrow! Ha ha!

3 comments:

Maddy said...

UPDATE! How did it go?

Lisa said...

ooohhhh--how did it go? also--how did you take pictures with a camera in one hand and a mcdonalds coke in the other???

Cutie Pies said...

I hope everything went well. I bet everyone totally loved their pictures.

Becky