Friday, November 17, 2006

santa ROCKS!

When will I learn? You 2Peas girls will understand this one. I haven't posted on the site for a long time, but I do go lurk about once a week just to see what some people are up to. I like to check up on some of my casual internet friends, and see if the crazies are still crazy. (yep, they are!)

I should have known better, being that it is near Christmastime. The official, "You parents that have children that believe in santa are telling them a LIE!!!!"

Oh brother. Seriously, I grew up believing in santa, and I'm glad that my parents let me believe. It was fun while it lasted. I remember my sister getting a bowl of goldfish one year, and being amazed that santa could carry that in his sleigh all the way from the north pole and not spill a drop. I watched those amazing little fish all day. - It didn't kill me years later when I found out that he wasn't real.

I'm puzzled by this supposed lying. Am I lying when I tell my daughter that she is the prettiest girl in the world? She believes she is because I tell her that everyday. She doesn't argue with all the other little girls whose mothers tell them the same thing. - And I think that is fine.

Then it is so ironic that on the same front page of 2Peas somebody posted that their 6th grade daughter was asking what 'bases' meant. Like somebody making it to first base and so on. Apparently the bases have changed. Wow, it sounds scary. But the funny thing is, people are posting on there, literally gasping, about how kids are growing up way too fast these days!

So is believing in santa really all that harmful?

I just think it has to be hard being a kid during these days. I'm sure my parents thought the same thing compared to their childhoods, but I can't imagine being a kid growing up right now. There is so much pressure, and the world is so crazy. At Megan's age I was riding my bike a couple miles to my swim team practice... by myself. Heck, I even rode through a greenbelt to Circle K to go buy ice cream. My parents weren't irresponsible, it's just what kids did back then. Now I don't even let Megan go around the block without me there. It is just insane.

So, I should just not go back to 2Peas for awhile. I forgot about the non believers, the people who are offended at somebody saying Merry Christmas to them, people who are offended because somebody doesn't say Merry Christmas to them, people who hate the bell ringers, and especially people who want people fired for forgetting their holiday turkey. (that was a classic thread, and one that I look forward to just as much as watching Rudolph every year!)

I'm looking forward to this holiday season, santa and all, because I know that in a few short years santa probably won't be an issue in our house anymore, and I'll be missing the magical days of seeing amazed little kids when they come downstairs and see presents under the tree.

6 comments:

Maddy said...

I hear ya! I totally love Santa and we celebrate him in our house as well. It's part of the magic of Christmas -- so I don't feel bad telling my children about him either!

Side note about your "prettiest girl in the world" analogy. The other day I was telling Ellie that she was the prettiest girl in the world and she tells me, "Mom, all the moms think their kid is the prettiest." Smart little cookie. And I still believe in Santa.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Kerry! I had Chelsea believing Santa so thoroughly that I think she to this day still kind of does. She's not 100% sure he's not real, I can tell. And I LOVE that you tell Megan that she is the prettiest girl in the world every day. I did that too. I miss a day here and there now, but it's still part of the deal. I throw in an occasional "you're a great thinker" or "I love how smart you are" and "you are a really good friend to your friends" but it's always back to how cute and pretty she is. Are we ruining them? I doubt it.

Lisa said...

Are you f'in kidding me? santa is not real?? i have to go lie down now!

Anonymous said...

it's just like asking them to take God and religion out of the Veggie Tales.

I totally agree with you...

Anonymous said...

you rock on with your bad self, kerry! SANTA RULES! :D

poor lisa - i can't believe you ruined christmas for her. you really should have put *christmas SPOILER* in your blog title! sheesh! :P

oh, and i am doing my part to reinforce the gender roles in my family. always telling sarah how pretty she is, and telling jack how handsome he is. :)

Anonymous said...

oh, and i am totally thinking of you tonight - i have some vh1 special about u2 on in the background. the sweetest thing is on right now - i love that some so freaking much! :)