Friday, June 06, 2008

An update! Can you believe it?!?

Well we are here! There is SO much to say, and not a lot of time to post about it all right now.

Today is the first day I've had internet, and even at that, I only have my laptop. Mike promises to hook up my desktop computer tomorrow so I can post a few of the ONE MILLION photos I have taken since leaving Phoenix.

Welcome to Kentucky. It took us f o r e v e r to get here. It wouldn't be a *insert family name here* move without a bunch of speedbumps along the way. Trust me, some of them you WILL not believe.

In short.... yesterday was our first full day here. We woke up to an incredible storm in the morning. Rain. Mmmm. More rain in one storm than Phoenix would get in one year. Niiiiice.

Later in the afternoon though, I was still unpacking boxes and it got dark again really quick. Thankfully Mike was here, because I was totally oblivious. He opened up the back door and the tornado sirens were going off. WHAT? Are you kidding?

He looked on his phone which was the only internet type thing we had going on at the time, and sure enough, our county, our exact area!! So we got to try out our new basement and wait out this storm. I heard today that it touched down not far from here. Doesn't mother nature understand? Did she not get the memo? Remember when I said that I don't do tornadoes? And here I was sitting one out. Those sirens are eerie though. I don't like those at all. I don't like hearing them at least..... I'm grateful for them now. I have to remember to open a door and listen from now on. There are a lot of new things to learn.

Poor Trevor was so upset. He's my worrier. He wasn't too happy and was freaking out that the cat wasn't in the basement with us. And his stuffed dog and blanket. I kept telling him that I was positive we (and the missing cat) were going to be ok because I hadn't grabbed my frogs OR my McDonald's coke that was sitting on the counter.

Today was also the first day to see how perfect this all is and why we did move. Mike went to work this morning, flew to Orlando and a few other places and came home in time for dinner. Then we all were out in our huge grass yard, enjoying the cool weather.

I do miss everybody though. I forget that I am on the other side of the country now. The time difference has been the hardest for me to get used to. Not as much in the morning, but the evening. It is still light out at 9:30 at night. Kids are playing all over the neighborhood until 10:00 or so. I'm sure that it is a summer thing, but it is still so weird. Right now I am consistantly up until at least 3:00 in the morning.

Megan and I swear that Kentucky is heaven on earth. We have seen so many horses. Even the entrance to our subdivision has a huge pasture with horses in it. We like to drive by Turfway Park just so we can peek at the incredible barns and catch a glimpse of the spoiled horses. We are in our element for sure!!

I'll get some pictures posted soon, but I know I haven't been in touch with anybody for a week now and that feels SO WEIRD. Things will get back to normal soon!

Mwah! Love you guys!!!

Oh, and I hope to have my yucky looking blog back to normal by this weekend. Links and all. It's funny how many people have asked me what the heck I did to it! Apparently I'm not allowed to play with new templates by myself. See why I'm technically challenged? Haha!

8 comments:

laura said...

oh, kerry, i am so glad you checked in!! dang, girl! be careful out there. i can't imagine how scary that must be. can't wait to hear move about your adventure, and to see PICTURES!!

lots of love from california! miss you! xo

Qwendykay said...

HOORAY!!! You posted. I've been checking out your blog every day hoping for an update!!

I can't wait to see pictures, and HOW SCARY about the tornado warning.. EEK.. gives me goosebumps.

Kaelene said...

I'm so glad that you guys made it out there alive! LOL
I have been hoping for an update from you . . . and here it is!
We miss you, but know that you are doing what's best for your family!
Take care! ♥

Unknown said...

Oh, my! What a trip! Can't wait to see photos (and your old blog style back!)... ;)

Maddy said...

I need pictures now so I can picture the stories.

You have to check in every day! I love hearing about your new adventure!!!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you made it safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Yea! You made it. I knew everything would be fine. Can't wait to hear some of the stories. Nice one about the tornado sirens. Trust me, you don't really have to leave a door open - they are freaking loud. Oh and I don't know about down there, but up here they periodically test them (like maybe once a month, once a week or something at a set time) So don't be alarmed if you hear them going off for apparently no reason.
While we are on the subject of natural disaster type stuff, did you know that Kentucky also has earthquakes? It's apparently sitting on fault line. You can ask my mom about those. They had a couple a few weeks ago that people up here felt. I missed it. I was asleep. You know how I can sleep.
Anyhoo! Glad you checked in...I'm still excited you guys are back here. Don't be too worried about the weather and other stuff...it usually sounds worse than it is. But this is why we pray. Remember to pray in the positive, it really does work better that way - "Thank you Lord, for the health and safety of my home and those I love." I say that every day. I'm so glad you're here. Did I mention that?
Oh yeah, I haven't solved my goofy password mystery yet, so I am still mysteriously anonymous. The whole technically challenged thing....

sue @ postcards from paradise falls said...

I've been thinking about you!! I'm so glad you made it there safely! {{HUGS}}