Tuesday, February 27, 2007

activity day!

Can I just tell you how much I love my calling at church? I don't think I ever came right out and said anything on my blog, but some of you know that I am an activity days leader. Pretty much every other week I get to play and have fun with 16 8-11 year old girls.

I was paired up with a woman who is the -be all end all- of planning. Seriously, this lady was the Daisy leader when Megan was in Daisy Scouts. She is amazing.

Like today. We went to the church family history center next door to the Mesa temple. The girls all started out kind of quiet like they didn't think it would be fun at all. I mean they just all got out of school, so how fun does it sound to go to some old library, right?

A few minutes for a talk about what the center is about, and then they were all allowed to go search on the computer for some of their ancestors. Most of the girls were able to find somebody, and they just thought that was the COOLEST thing ever. I wish we would have had more time, because as we were getting close to needing to leave, they were all wanting to look up birth certificates and marriage certificates for their great great grandparents. It really is fascinating stuff, and I wish I knew more about finding information. My mother in law used to work there, so she is an expert. It was confusing for me and the little bit of information we found, so I bet once you know what to do you can find even more incredible information. Like how a person died from the death certificate. Just amazing.

So then we headed home, a caravan of three MAVs (Mormon assault vehicles) my car full of girls, windows down and singing along with the Hanna Montana CD. :)

4 comments:

jen paddack-hyde said...

I love it when Alex is suddenly interested in something I thought she would be bored with...her favorite thing to do is walk around Monterey and visit the historical sights:)

Anonymous said...

you're so cute! :)

Stephanie said...

That sounds so neat for the kids!! Very educational and fun at the same time!!

Lisa said...

that is so awesome! cherish that calling until you get called to teach the hell's angels kids in primary! :)