Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy birthday Matthew!!

Guess who is SIX today? My little dude. I love him soooo much!

Edited to add: Whew. All of the October birthdays are over. October is such a crazy month for our family. It begins with mine, then my sister, then Megan, then Matthew. Then before you know it... Halloween. October goes by faster each year.

We dropped off cupcakes at school for Matthew's class. I needed to run back to the store to get another dozen of them after hearing the night before that there are 32 kids in his class. I thought we had been so perfectly planned out and bought two dozen the night before in hopes of NOT needing to go to the store again. Imagine - $40 on cupcakes this month. I miss the days when you could actually buy a box of cake mix and make your own goodies to take to school. I bet that the grocery store bakeries and the schools have some sort of conspiracy. Yeah, that's it.

Today was a good day for Matthew. He woke up and opened his presents. More Thomas stuff, a Thomas movie and a construction set. After school we headed north to Ohio to Quaker Steak and Lube. It's one of Matthew's favorite places to eat. Trevor's too.... they have good wings, and the kids meals come in little open cardboard cars. You can get onion rings or soft pretzels served on an antenna. Then there are race cars and cool car things everywhere. Perfect place for boys.

Then we came home, played a bit and watched the Thomas movie together. It is cold out tonight, so I enjoyed the snuggly couch time with him. Then stories before bed. Today went by fast, but it was a good birthday.

I'm having a bit of a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I have a 10 year old after this month, and that Matthew is on the downside of turning 10 himself. You know, because at 6 you have to round up to the next nearest.... 10.... I'm weird when it comes to numbers. But somehow it seemed like they were all so little still when one was 5 or under. It's just another tick in the passage of time. Although I have to admit with Matthew I'm glad that those toddler years are disappearing. He was one tough toddler. I love him to pieces, but you know the saying that if he'd been my first child there wouldn't have been more! Haha! The terrible twos lasted a few years. Thankfully that is becoming a distant memory and each day gets easier with him. He's such a good kid. :)

4 comments:

Maddy said...

Happy birthday handsome!!!!!!

m = michelle said...

SIX?!?!?!? wow. times flies!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE DUDE!

Kaelene said...

Happy Birthday, Matthew! You are growing up so fast!
Hey, Kerry, why don't you take a few minutes off from birthdays?? ♥

Lisa said...

boo hoo. that means haley will be six shortly. quaker steak and lube. only in kentucky! LOL