Sunday, December 14, 2008



It wasn't that cold today, this photo is from Megan's 5K race, but I just think it's cute. That's one die hard DS player when it's that cold out. But today's post is about Matthew and it is Christmas related.
A couple of weeks ago he came home from school and asked if he could use our video camera.
"What for?"
"I want to try to set a trap and videotape Santa on Christmas Eve."
"Don't you think that might scare Santa? Why do you want to catch him anyway?"
"There's a rumor going around my class that he isn't real and that it's really your parents that put the presents under the tree. I think that is too much work for parents to do, but I just want to make sure."
"You think Santa is real?"
"Yeah, I do. I just want to make sure."
I knew this would probably be the last year he'd believe in Santa, I guess I just wasn't prepared. I don't know why because both Megan and Trevor pretty much had the same conversation with me word for word back when they were around the same age. (What is it with the traps? I wanted to do the same thing when I was a kid... I think it involved strung pots and pans, and bubble wrap. The noise was going to wake me up and I knew I'd sneak out and catch him.)
I meant to write about our little conversation that day, but never did.
Then Friday he comes home from school waving a letter in the air. He has the biggest smile on his face and comes bounding in yelling, "A LETTER!! A LETTER FROM SANTA!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!"
He handed me an envelope and we read the letter together. One was a letter he had written at school for Santa telling him that he wanted a Thomas set. (sure... we need more.) then there was another letter inside from santa. It said:
Merry Christmas Matthew! I got your letter. All of us here at the north pole are working hard to get ready in time for the holidays.
I will do my best to make all your wishes come true. In the meantime, always try to do your best and don't forget to be good.
I see you would like a Thomas the train set. I will do my best to bring millions of children just like you what they asked for. On the other hand, I am doing well (Matthew asked in his letter how Santa was feeling.) thanks for asking Matthew! Enjoy the holiday season and be good because you know I am watching!

See you sooner than you think!
Love Santa.
The poor kid was so excited he was literally shaking while I read it and I think the only time I have ever seen a smile that big on his face was when we went to ride Thomas. He has both letters taped up on his door right now. I don't think there is a doubt in his head about whether or not santa is real at this point. I love that we get another year of magic out of him. There really is nothing sweeter than a little one and all of the excitement surrounding the magic of Christmas.
We've been trying to keep busy with our normal Christmas time traditions. The kids were all invited over to a neighbors house last week to decorate cookies, and we try to go out every other night to look at lights up in the neighborhood. Tomorrow we are going to put together and decorate the gingerbread house and hopefully get a few things ready to be sent out. I plan on starting some wrapping tomorrow so I'm not up until 3 a.m on Christmas Eve. We're even supposed to get snow on Tuesday. It feels like the holidays are in full swing.

3 comments:

Maddy said...

How cool is that? So who wrote the letter?

Lisa said...

SANTA IS REAL? i'm so excited. i need to get busy on my list! give matthew a hug from me!

Unknown said...

What a neat story!

Ryan was just telling me today that the Kindergartners wrote letters to Santa this year and the 6th graders answered them. I pity the poor kid who got "Ryan's" letter. ;)