Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It's time for a random post....

Sorry that there are no breaks in between the paragraphs. I don't know why blogger does that every now and then.

Here are the kids, watching one of the million Christmas specials on at night. (Mom...see the magic sleepy blanket?)
The blanket that Matthew has around him was mine when I was Megan's age. It's the best blanket ever. It's warm, magically makes you fall asleep when you have it over you, is comforting when you are sick, isn't very attractive anymore but I still love it, and is actually a bit of an antique. It has a tag on it that says that it was made in West Germany. I always think that is kind of cool.
My rant today is about how depressing Christmas music is. Have you ever noticed how many songs are about people being apart? It's not uplifiting. No wonder the suicide rate goes up around the holidays. It's because of Christmas music. I'm convinced of that.
So I'm listening to Christmas music while at the grocery store yesterday. I really really really hate that stupid Wham song... you know, "Last Christmas I gave you my heart... the very next day.... you gave it away..... etc."


I hate that song. LOATHE it even. WHY why why is that a Christmas song? And why does every station play it like it is 3 minutes of poetic and musical genius?? It has nothing to do with Christmas, and really, it's kind of sad. It doesn't sing about good memories.
Even the old standards. I'm tired of them. Rudolph. Ugh. Once in awhile I like it, but it's not really a nice song either. Santa and the other deer were not kind to Rudolph and that always made me feel uncomfortable. Rudolph was a pawn. He was used. Only when there was an emergency did they all of a sudden like him. Sure Santa, when your ass is on the line it's ok to be open minded about a poor deer with an oddity. That's not the santa I know. Other than the fact that I appreciate the antiquity of it, I could stand to only hear it once a season.
But what is with all the songs about being away for Christmas. Nobody gets to go back home, I'm missing you... etc. Why not more songs about the SEASON? I mean "Let it snow" has become a favorite of mine... it makes sense with the snow, and now living in snowy areas it gives me warm fuzzies. The image in my head of "The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful...." I GET THAT, and I love that.
We need some new songs to be written that will eventually become holiday staples. Please, no more groups covering old songs.... (with the exception of U2 doing Christmas Baby Please Come Home of course!) But I can't stand to hear ONE MORE girl singer of the year do her version of Santa Baby. And as if Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" didn't make my ears bleed, now I hear new versions of it from groups nobody cares about.
Please... I beg of the song writers out there.... please... can we have some new Christmas music? Play it with the old standards, the originals...but please no more depressing Christmas music. Please?

4 comments:

Kaelene said...

all of your comments about the Christmas pop standards are the exact reasons that I prefer the songs that they DON'T play much . . . the ones that actually focus on Christ!
I feel your pain . . . but I AM missiny YOU, at this Christmas time!

Kaelene said...

That is supposed to say "missing" you! DOH!!

Maddy said...

I know, I was thinking about how depressing, "I'll be Home for Christmas" is just the other day.

And someone on 2Ps was ranting about Rudolph. IT was really funny. She was wondering why it wasn't, "You probably forgot about Dasher and Dancer. . ." Like you would know those reindeers if it weren't for Rudolph!

I loved talking to you the other day!

m = michelle said...

AND THAT, my friend, IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT WINNIE THE POO!

how's THAT for a tangent! HAHA