Wednesday, December 17, 2008

traditions






Today was our first delayed start for school. I know the kids were really hoping that it would be a full snow day, but at least they got a little extra time this morning. Everything is really sticking this time, compared to the last time we had snow. I love being on top of a hill and being able to see everybody's snow topped houses around the neighborhood. I feel like I'm living in a Christmas card.


The other day after school we worked on our gingerbread house. I buy one of the kits from the store every year. This time I also had the canned frosting that I had bought on clearance from Valentine's day. (I love you Target!!) That is a must when there are THREE kids. I'm pretty happy with myself for thinking ahead on that one! It definitely cut down on the fighting over who got to do what on the house this year. Plus it was kind of neat since the cans come with four different tips. We have some pretty awesome looking snow on our little house.


Every year when we make one of these I think of the one year that I managed to pop my shoulder out of it's socket and ended up in the er. It was the one time it didn't roll itself back into place, and I had to ride in the ambulance with my arm above my head... then taking steps to the surgery that finally fixed it for good! But I remember my mom coming over to help Megan and Trevor decorate one. I think Megan was almost 5 and Trevor was 3. It seems like yesterday! So these little houses always remind me of the passage of time, and how somthing you don't mean to turns into a yearly tradition. (The house! Not my shoulder! LOL!)


Still working on getting Christmas stuff done, along with regular daily life stuff. - and enjoying the pretty snow.

3 comments:

m = michelle said...

yeah, still not even remotely jealous of your snow. *wink*

Unknown said...

Aww- what a great tradition! I'm lazy and let the teachers do the gingerbread houses with the kids at school... ;)

Maddy said...

I love your LO!! And I'm with Michelle. Just not jealous of the snow.